Author Topic: Life raft  (Read 1096 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Life raft
« on: February 02 2022, 14:52 »
So far we have sailed only along the Croatia coast and islands, within 12 miles (more/less).Our intention is to go to Greece,

So we have to register boat from the area of navigation 3 to area navigation 1, which is highest category, theoretically you can sail all the oceans.

Boat is Bavaria 36, Croatian flag. According to Croatian regulations boat of this size must have EPIRB, life raft for all persons,...

This is everything OK, but Croatian regulations prescribe nothing as to the type of life raft.

I called maritime equipment stores and the maritime service responsible for ship certification, but no one can tell me what kind of life raft it must be is it ISO9605-1 pack 1 (<24h) or pack 2 (>24h) or even SOLAS type.  Because in Croatian regulations is not defined. In fact every raft for 8 people would meet the requirements of Croatian regulations!

My question is what kind of life rafts do you have? Do you have a hard container or soft bag, where do you keep it and how often do you service it?

In shop they suggest me Arimar, some chinese raft (800 euros).

Do you have any recommendation for EPIRB, is there anything special I need to pay attention to when purchasing.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Life raft
« Reply #1 on: February 02 2022, 15:32 »
Sounds like it would be vastly cheaper to simply reflag the boat! IMHO both EPIRB and liferaft are a bit silly if you're only sailing down the coast from Croatia and plan to continue cruising Greek waters. You're never far from land nor out of VHF range, the waters are warm and there are so many boats around you're likely to have several standing by and livestreaming on YouTube while you're getting rescued.

So you'd only be buying raft and EPIRB to satisfy rules, therefore buy the cheapest ones you can find. Used ones can be often found for free, because the cost of servicing is almost the same as a new raft.

Servicing costs are considerable (several hundred EUR) and most rafts need to be serviced either every year or every 3 years. If buying new, make sure you get a 3 year service cycle one. The service cycle may drop down to annually later in the life of the raft though. Occasionally the gas bottle needs replacing, which adds another couple hundred EUR to the service fee.

Likewise, EPIRBs need to be registered and have their batteries changed regularly - look up the cost for battery changes and calculate total cost of ownership instead of just purchase price.

The situation is very different if you're planning to do an Atlantic crossing or some such. Now you would be looking at the quality of the raft instead of just the price, because there's a very slim chance you might end up sitting in it. You'd want one with a double floor (insulation against cold waters - irrelevant when summer cruising the Med), self-righting and a smaller size, as 8 person rafts with only two people inside are prone to capsize (unless you actually sail with that much crew). Viking has a good reputation. Don't buy that raft before you actually need it though.

The 24h pack is just how much food/water they stuff in there. Some sailors ask to remove the pack from the liferaft at the first servicing and carry it in a grab bag, which means it's easy to refresh/supplement the food/water and change the batteries in the flashlight.

Soft bags aren't suitable for keeping outside and few boats have on-deck lockers which would be suitable for doing so. Keeping it down the companionway is useless, as you will most likely not be able to deploy it from there in an actual emergency. Hard shells are suitable for storing on deck, or preferably in a cage overhanging the transom, from where they can be deployed by simply cutting the holding straps, so nobody needs to try and haul the massive thing around on deck with one hand in hazardous conditions, because that can only go wrong.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Life raft
« Reply #2 on: February 03 2022, 08:10 »
I agree with Yngmar.
Our boat is in croatia, and had croatian flag until 2020 due to former use as charter boat.
Under croatian flag: If you plan to leave the coastal waters you need a raft for all persons on board (and not for all PAX the boat is capable!), quality of raft does not matter, the cheapest one will be OK (but mind lifecycle cost as mentioned by Yngmar). Maybe location of service station  should be considered for ease of logistic when servicing. there are shorter service cycles and higher costs at the end of life of raft, so it made no sense for keeping it longer.
I had an arimar raft (in soft bag, 8pax), which only could be serviced in Split (southern Dalmatia), which meant 250km of ride to bring in.
As i remember croatian flagged boats need to be inspected in a cycle of 5 Years (?,i'm not sure), charter boats more often. This inspection includes the check of a regular serviced(!) raft, so you need to get the raft serviced.
After the serviceable lifetime of my arimar ended (14years after purchase), i got a plastimo raft (ISAF cert, hard shell) for 6PAX, as i'm planning offshore passages next winter. I have the supplies for the raft in an extra grab bag (and not enclosed in raft shell).