Author Topic: sea cock diameters  (Read 2128 times)

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
sea cock diameters
« on: January 22 2022, 13:23 »
hi all, ime due to change sea cocks later this year, am I correct in thinking that after measuring the dia of the thru hull threads at 26-27mm and 48mm-49mm they would be   3/4bsp and 1 1/2bsp respectively.
thanks
Phil

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: sea cock diameters
« Reply #1 on: January 22 2022, 13:36 »
Inlets are 3/4" and outlets are 1 1/2"

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: January 22 2022, 16:01 »
ok thanks, wanted to check and order before taking the boat out later in the year.

regards
Phil

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 30 2022, 10:03 »
Be aware Phil that if you change to Tru-design valves, that while the internal diameters remain the same, that the overall size of the valves and associated fittings are larger than for metal valves. They can still be fitted, but may require a little bit of innovative thinking to get them into the same space that the old metal valves and fittings occupied. I changed mine on my B36(2002) a few years ago, and was able to complete the job satisfactorily, but the last pieces to be screwed together were the through hull fittings and securing nuts. Essentially the seacocks and hose tails were screwed together before being placed into the locker under the washbasin in the correct orientation. Then the through hull fittings were pushed through from outside and the internal securing washers and nuts were loosely screwed on but not tightened so that the through hulls could first be fitted into the ends of the valves and tightened, and finally the internal securing nuts for the through hulls were tightened into place. The problem was that I wanted angled hose tails fitted, but even with straight hose tails there simply wasn’t enough room within that cupboard to turn the whole assembly onto an already fitted through hull, or individual parts or just the tails into place. It worked, and while I did put a hose test on the system from the outside, I did breathe easier after frequent checking during the first voyage after launching. Good luck with the job, but give me a shout if you need a hand.

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: January 30 2022, 10:40 »
thanks for that tip, next time ime down I will do some measurements, also will look up the overall dimensions of the tru design ones. I've plenty of time to work it out as I plan to take boat out around the end of September, so its still warm enough to antifoul and get all the jobs done. plus its quieter on the yard. Ime quitting work in June or July so after that there's no more going down fri night /sat morn then having to get back Sunday for work on Monday. 
cheers
Phil

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: January 31 2022, 07:05 »
Ime quitting work in June or July
..... i think i'll never quit work, i'm a boat owner..... ::)

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: January 31 2022, 08:03 »
I need to quit work to spend time doing the boat, oh... and a bit of sailing  ;D ;D

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 31 2022, 13:33 »
As is possible to see two fittings are very close.
However I used traditional assembly system. First day I installed skin fittings, after 24 hours tightened the nuts as per Trudesign torque instructions.In the same day it is possible mount valves and tails.The day after it is possible install hoses.
It is possible dismount the  blue lever  to have more space to install valves and riassembly at the end of the job. 3M 5200 f.c. as s3alant.
I do not like Salty metod and I do not advise it.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #8 on: February 01 2022, 09:16 »
Kavok, thank you for the impressive photos!
However I used traditional assembly system.
I think it depends on the specific situation on each boat. I need to do this job on my 46-footer and will follow the traditional way to go, but on a 36-footer this is possibly another job....
Where did you source the milling tool to drill the old skin fittings out?
Do they work only on plastic fittings or did you drill brass/bronze fittings too?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: February 01 2022, 09:41 »
You are right. difficult to fit in the space in some boats like my 33 where I have to replace them. Will use DZR metal ones. Nothing wrong with the valves themselves, but the buyers surveyor found pink parches on the outside flanges of the skin fittings. Pretty sure there will be nothing wrong with the skin fitting inside but expect the buyer will demand replacement. To remove the flange of the skin fitting you can use a cone drill or if you are careful an angle grinder on the inside of the flange. The metal is thin and easily cut.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #10 on: February 01 2022, 10:09 »
As is possible to see two fittings are very close.
However I used traditional assembly system. First day I installed skin fittings, after 24 hours tightened the nuts as per Trudesign torque instructions.In the same day it is possible mount valves and tails.The day after it is possible install hoses.
It is possible dismount the  blue lever  to have more space to install valves and riassembly at the end of the job. 3M 5200 f.c. as s3alant.
I do not like Salty metod and I do not advise it.

It is quite clear from your photos, and from the size of your boat (B40/2008) and age/design of your boat that you had significantly more space within your under wash basin cupboard than either I (B36/2002/J&J design) had, or Diverphil (B33/2006) is likely to have. The reasons why I had to work the way I did were stated, and was dictated by the available space I had in which to work, not by the space you have, or arguably the lesser space that Diverphil has in which to work. If simply removing the blue lever handle would have done the trick, do you really think I would have have opted to work the way I did ?? As for the method I used, it worked because I took great care to ensure that it worked and to ensure that leakage would not result from working the way I did. Despite that, I did not simply assume there would be no leakage and did a very careful check both on launching and throughout the 36 mile journey from launching to arrival at the berth, and overnight through to the following day before I left to return home, and at every subsequent opening and closing of those seacocks during the following years before I eventually sold the boat.

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #11 on: February 01 2022, 20:03 »
The conic milling tool is simple to use to remove metal skin fittings.
Also you avoid the little cuts on vtr that is possible to do by angle cutter

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #12 on: February 02 2022, 19:54 »
I've found the dimensions on tek tanks site, hope there is enough room to get them in with the additional collars. as your pictures above. i don't see any problem with whichever way they are fitted as once there in sealed and tight they are not a high pressure joint.
forgot to add, the rotary drill idea is a good one , i was going to attack them carefully with the grinder.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #13 on: February 03 2022, 06:52 »
Small diameter (115-125mm) angle grinder is not too bad if you don't find suitable conical drill.

I replaced three through-hulls last spring and the 0.5mm or so sikaflex and gap between brass through-hull and GRP allows plenty of margin. You can easily stop grinding on areas where black caulking appears and grind through the perimeter of the "inside corner" of the through-hull. Too bad I did not take any photos of the grinding process itself.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina