Author Topic: hatch handles dropped off  (Read 5060 times)

Eliza

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria28
  • Boat Year: 2003
hatch handles dropped off
« on: July 21 2013, 09:52 »
Bavaria 38(2003) the handles on the aft cabin hatch have dropped off,what is the best adhesive to use ?

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: hatch handles dropped off
« Reply #1 on: July 23 2013, 05:19 »
I presume your  Bavaria has the Rutgersen hatches installed.
I had a similar experience with one of my hatch handles, the result of being pulled down too vigorously or forced against the lock buttons. This requires a crew awareness session!
I found swapping it with a little used handle was the answer, and when re-installing, carefully apply some Araldite glue to the screw thread making sure you have rehearsed the reassembly properly.
Rutgersen of Sweden carry most spare parts but they are always very expensive.

Eliza

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: July 23 2013, 17:26 »
the hatches are lewmar and the handles have no screw assembly they are just glued on.
thankyou for your reply,I think I will try to re/glue with araldite.

Brian

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: July 24 2013, 06:53 »
Araldite will be of little use, the original handles were welded on to the acrylic.  You can try and put a long bolt through the centre, but acrylic is difficult to drill as it cracks easily. If you look on the lewmar website they may have spares that are designed as a replacement.

Eliza

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: July 24 2013, 13:36 »
thanks for the information,will try lewmar webstite

Alec

• Second Mate
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 30 2013, 05:24 »
Hi Eliza,
I bought a 2 part epoxy glue from the marine shop, I don't have the name with me as it's on the yacht but it worked really well and the ones that I have had to glue back together are still holding strong....If your local marine shop does not have anything let me know and I will get the name for you Monday
Regards,
Alec

ARGold

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 38 Ocean CC
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #6 on: January 01 2018, 16:18 »
I realized that this is an old post, but several of these topside hatch handles (with no screws have come off and some went overboard.  Does anyone know how I would go about replacing them. 

Please only reply if you know for a fact, don't just guess that I can search Lewmar for them. 

Thanks!

Sen Mora

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
« Reply #7 on: January 02 2018, 19:12 »
I used West system superflex G650 (if I recall correctly)’ it is mixed 1:1, still holding after couple of years. Tricky part is to clamp it well, I used line with some shims.

B40-Lefkas

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B40
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 08 2018, 09:59 »
So long as the surfaces are in good condition and non-porous, we have had excellent results with Pascofix for various uses. It's a super strong cyanoacrylate type adhesive . You can buy it online but only get small bottles as it has a shelf life of maybe 6 months.

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #9 on: January 14 2018, 18:47 »
We had the same problem with a handle on the hatch in the forward head. We tried a couple of products, but the one that finally stuck was called 'Plastic Weld' and is designed to bond plastic to plastic, since the 'glass' itself is actually acrylic. We were in the USA at the time, so not sure where you are but it worked great!

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #10 on: January 14 2018, 19:11 »
... but the one that finally stuck was called 'Plastic Weld' and is designed to bond plastic to plastic, since the 'glass' itself is actually acrylic. We were in the USA at the time, so not sure where you are but it worked great...

I've bought Plastic Weld in the UK, I think it was Halfords.
ATB

Mark