Author Topic: Zinc saver, site of installation  (Read 2063 times)

Alchimist

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Zinc saver, site of installation
« on: January 08 2022, 12:22 »
Good morning,
I´m a young German boy of 68, und the berth of my Bavaria 37 Cruiser is in Wismar / Baltic Sea. I use to read with great pleasure and regularly your forum. It´s competent and pleasant.
Now I´d have a question too: the sacrificial anode has vanished traceless during last season.  Therefore I ordered Sterling Zinc saver 3o amp in the hope it will help.  The galvanic isolator isn´t quite small and should be mounted on a protected and dry place.
Can you give me an advice, where is such a suitable site for installation?
Thanks!   

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Zinc saver, site of installation
« Reply #1 on: January 08 2022, 13:16 »
Welcome to the forum!

Ideally, try to mount the zinc saver as close as possible to the shorepower inlet at the transom.  This area should be dry enough.

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: January 08 2022, 18:10 »
I mounted mine inside the transom where the shore power inlet is located.  I run two 110volt systems and a single galvanic isolator services both of them.  It is rated for 50 amps, which matches my 50 amp pedestal and cord.  It's an easy upgrade for a do it yourselfer.  A pro could do it for not too much money either.  I epoxied a small square of wood, then mounted the isolator to it.  That saved me drilling through fiberglass.  I hate to put any new holes in my boat, unless absolutely necessary.

Access to the inside of the transom on my Bav44 is pretty easy.  Lots of space back there.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: January 10 2022, 19:40 »
On our 35E it is mounted adjacent to the shore power inlet that is accessed via the starboard lazarette.  Not too hard, but of course not always easy to get your hands in there for the installation because it is on the inside wall facing the cockpit.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: January 11 2022, 18:25 »
mounted ours on the bulkhead in the sail locker, about 1mtr from inlet for mains supply,