Author Topic: Rudder Bavaria 390lagoon  (Read 1142 times)

Bavaria 390

• Cadet
Rudder Bavaria 390lagoon
« on: December 16 2021, 23:48 »
Hello! I have a Bavaria 390. 1991. I need to change the upper and lower bearings of the rudder. Does anyone have the dimensions or drawings of these bearings? To make them.
Sincerely yours!

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Rudder Bavaria 390lagoon
« Reply #1 on: December 17 2021, 06:58 »
Sorry, don't have neither dimensions nor drawing of the rudder bearings. In my case i replaced the original bearings with jefa roller bearings, which work great and have low friction. They have a pretty huge stock of different bearing types. Parts came within a few days from denmark after order. Worth to give them a call, i found the guys very competent and helpful. See https://jefa.dk/Contact/ 

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: December 18 2021, 09:03 »
Hello! I have a Bavaria 390. 1991. I need to change the upper and lower bearings of the rudder. Does anyone have the dimensions or drawings of these bearings? To make them.
Sincerely yours!
We have a B38 Lagoon and have replaced the rudder bushes.
They aren't roller bearings on ours, they're 'Delrin' bushes, and run directly on the rudder stock.
I didn't have the dimensions either.
So we removed the rudder and the old bushes. then very accurately measured the diameter of the rudder stock at the top bush position, it was about 50mm, and then at the lower bush position, it was about 100mm if I remember correctly.
Then I did the same on the inside diameter of the rudder stock tube and the top bush carrier.
A micrometer is absolutely necessary to get this right.
'Derlin' comes in rods of various diameters, just buy two suitable lengths that have a diameter larger than required.
I then had a local machine shop machine the 'Derlin' very accurately to size.
Bear in mind that the OD of the bushes has to achieve an interference fit, but I suppose if you didn't think it was tight enough you could cheat and apply some 'Sikaflex'.....
That was 10 years ago and about 8000 miles ago, there is no sign of wear so far...
.........Good Luck.....Bill.

Bavaria 390

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: December 23 2021, 09:36 »
Yay! I wrote to Bavaria and they replied that the top bushing costs 21 euros, the bottom 85, the postage will be 12 euros. A total of 118 euros, which I've just paid. :)
Thank you all!

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #4 on: December 23 2021, 11:28 »
Well done, a good result..!!