Author Topic: Leak in Rear Port Cabin  (Read 1129 times)

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Leak in Rear Port Cabin
« on: January 30 2022, 15:50 »
Hi All,

I have a Cruiser 37 2006 and have started getting a leak in the rear port cabin, the outboard mattress is soaked. I can can't find where it is getting in, but believe it can only be the fixings for the toe rail or condensation as this is directly above the water tank. Has anyone had a similar leak, what was causing it and how did you fix it?

Having had an issue with water in the diesel I am looking to fit a long tube into the bottom of the tank that I can periodically drain any water in the tank out from. I was at the boat yesterday and wonder what the two fitting joined by a plastic tube do, or are they spare ways into the tank.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Leak in Rear Port Cabin
« Reply #1 on: January 30 2022, 15:56 »
Those look like spare take-offs. The hose piece connecting them together is a simple and economical way of closing off the unused take-offs. Ours are different fittings but in the same place and I do use them for the same purpose, removing one to stick a copper pipe down into the deepest corners of the tank and pumping up any dirt or water found there.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
« Reply #2 on: January 30 2022, 16:42 »
Hi Yangmar,

When you removed it does it just unscrew and do you push in a thin pipe or have you fitted something in place as I was thinking of also using then to install a fuel polishing rig.

Simon

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: January 30 2022, 17:18 »
Had the same problem, caused be a leaking stanchion base.
I encourage people board over the side by the shrouds and not pull themselves on using the safety rails

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
« Reply #4 on: January 30 2022, 22:12 »
Hi Clivert,

Thanks for your response, are the stanchions held down with bolts or screws like the toe rail and what did you bed them on?

Regards

Simon