Author Topic: Fuel filter set up  (Read 2265 times)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Fuel filter set up
« on: December 07 2021, 17:56 »
I am sick to my back teeth of my CAV filter, I can only imagine changing it in a seaway being a flipping nightmare, so I want to swap for a spin on. Additionally, the bleed screw on my fine filter housing was stripped, so I tried to repair the thread, however, it now slightly leaks (as I cut the thread slightly pissed  ::)), even with a doubty washer, so I want to replace the two. The set up is pictured below:

The master plan is this:

Are the ports on the old CAV 14mm like the new one will be? Have I missed any critical step out?

I note they are banjo fittings on the old fine filter housing - what would I use on the new housing?

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Re: Fuel filter set up
« Reply #1 on: December 07 2021, 19:42 »
I do not changed anything. I have your solution in Cruiser 40.
Simple add a transparent filter on line between  tank and fuel cock. It is simple to watch if there is dirty, and simple and quick change it  before dirt go to other filters

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: December 07 2021, 23:09 »
Here's what I did when my CAV housing pissed me off: http://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php?topic=1560.0
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 08 2021, 09:35 »
That'll work.

When I did my re-power, I swapped the CAV for a Chinese fake Racor unit (was about £30 complete).  Makes life a lot easier and cleaner.

I also added an outboard bulb primer in the feed pipe between the tank and the primary filter, which makes bleeding it a doddle.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #4 on: December 08 2021, 12:48 »
That'll work.

When I did my re-power, I swapped the CAV for a Chinese fake Racor unit (was about £30 complete).  Makes life a lot easier and cleaner.

I also added an outboard bulb primer in the feed pipe between the tank and the primary filter, which makes bleeding it a doddle.

Likewise...I fitted a Chinese 'Racor' and an outboard bulb....
 We also fitted a 'sight glass' with a screen filter just before the fuel cock...........
Makes life so simple. 
(Only issue was the large size of the Racor style filter in comparison to the CAV, so a relocation was necessary)

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
« Reply #5 on: December 08 2021, 22:34 »
https://www.racornews.com/single-post/2016-1-25-mythbusters-fuel-filters?fbclid=IwAR08PWK07T-OaYfx9A1lx8cHrmTMQ9pt18xsrWzmWpCN1RyM64YiJj45Aa4

Racor is the way to go along with an outboard bulb between it and the fuel tank.

If you take the fine filter to a machine shop they should be able to mill a flat on the filter head square to the thread to line it up. Far cheaper than a replacement.

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #6 on: December 09 2021, 10:08 »
I changed my primary filter for a 'Racor type' from Amazon [/url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Racor-Diesel-Water-Seperator-FG500/dp/B00L90437G/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=racor+filter&qid=1639043996&sr=8-7. The unit is well made and easy replacement for the old Cav filter. If you have crimped connectors on the old filter just cut through the old pipe as close to the crimp as you can and reattach to the new fittings with double hose clamps. Replacing the filter now a doddle.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: December 11 2021, 18:31 »
Thank you all! Really useful stuff - I might just use a copper washer or a crush washer for now on the leaky bleed screw whilst I figure out if I have enough boat credits left over after Christmas spend is done...