Author Topic: ST60 wind speed pick up stuck  (Read 1193 times)

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
ST60 wind speed pick up stuck
« on: October 28 2021, 15:52 »
ST60 wind speed bearing change.   Okay for anybody that fancies having a go.    I have just replaced the bearing in my ST60 wind direction and speed upper mast unit.    It was stiff and obviously had bearing failure as it constantly stuck in light winds.   Before expensive upgrading I thought I’d have a go at the bearing change.    To do this firstly remove the speed cups very small allen key (note this is not pined or position sensitive) .   Using a blade then screwdriver you can slowly leaver the black end cap out from the metal holder.   Again this is not position sensitive.   It has two rubber O rings that’s all that keeps it in.  There  are three wires soldered to the base,  black yell red.  You do not need to remove these.   The next bit is tricky.   You need to prise open the one, or best two of the three black plastic clamps that hold the PCB with the wires attached.  Two people are probably best.   The PCboard then comes out.  Inside there is a disc with 4 magnets on it.   Now on the shaft end I pulled the shaft hard but evenly with pliers. The bearing then fell to bits and the shaft came out.   I then found a piece of small PTFE tube that was just the correct dia for the bearing so cut it to size and fitted that.    I can’t believe it worked but it did and has been for a few weeks now.   I would only do this if its scrap anyway,   as you have nothing to lose.  The full replacement speed head is available on ebay at £135 if it all fails.  (had I known this at the start I would have just bought one).     I did not manage to find the actuall bearing replacement but it must be available somewhere.   Note the direction blade I assume is important to go back the same position as it comes off.  I never touched that end.

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
Re: ST60 wind speed pick up stuck
« Reply #1 on: October 28 2021, 18:12 »
Bearings are the same as used on most 1/12th scale remote control cars and very cheaply available. As I remember from doing my st50 there is a flat on the shaft of the wind vane which the allen screw tightens up against