Author Topic: B39-2006: Leaking Hull Ports  (Read 1270 times)

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
B39-2006: Leaking Hull Ports
« on: September 26 2021, 12:00 »
Our midships fixed Hull Ports leak and have done for a long time. The bow and stern Hull Ports are OK. It happens when the boat is healed over and I suspect it’s to do with the hull flexing.
I originally thought the leak was between Hull and Frame but I’ve resealed them several times the last with Buytl Tape without solving the problem. I now think the leak is between Frame and Acrylic Glass.
Port Reference stamped on the acrylic: LEWMAR 1246 17B6.
Given the ports are 15 years old how do I take them apart and reseal?
Or alternatively where can I buy like for like replacements?

All advice appreciated.

John

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: B39-2006: Leaking Hull Ports
« Reply #1 on: October 08 2021, 14:12 »
there is a procedure for sealing these to the hull which involves allowing a fairly thick bead to partially set. This is a procedure I found years ago.
Fixing Leaks In Hull Port Windows

A Hull Port window can leak in 3 places

1.   Between the glass and the rubber seal
2.   The frame and the hull
3.   In the joins of the window frame.

Sometimes it is not easy to tell by just spraying water on it. Sometimes it only leaks in sailing conditions so may be impossible to detect at anchorage.

Solution.

Remove plastic insert. It is attached with Velcro.
Undo bolts and remove window completely (you will require a person in the dinghy or on a wharf to assist or it could drop out)
You will find that the hatch was sealed with a foam tape.
When window is removed place on flat surface and fill with water to test if window is leaking between glass and rubber.
If it is and the yacht is still under warranty it is best to request replacement window. Photos will be required to prove leak and serial number of window.

If yacht is not under warranty and you do not wish to purchase new window you can attempt the following. Undo the screws and carefully pull apart the window being careful not to bend the joiners.
When removing rubber from glass, be careful not to stretch or kink rubber.
Coat rubber in lanolin grease or silicon grease and re-insert around glass but be careful not to pinch rubber when sliding frame back into place, ensuring a good snug fit.
Do up frame and then test with water by filling frame and rubber with water and see if it leaks through.

To fit back into the hull, completely remove all foam tape and clean completely. Run a bead of sikaflex/silicon or similar around hull where frame will be inserted.

Insert Window into hull and do up bolts a bit at a time crossing diagonally from bolt to bolt. Do not over tighten or you will squeeze out all the silicon.  Wait 24 hours and then hand tighten all bolts. (what you are trying to do is create a gasket and completely seal the window. There is always some flex in hull under sailing conditions and having sufficient sikaflex between the hull and the fame will allow flexing with out water ingress.
Replace plastic insert.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Re: B39-2006: Leaking Hull Ports
« Reply #2 on: October 08 2021, 17:42 »
Before dismount all, tray to  tight the screws.