Author Topic: Sealing acrylic window pane into frame. And painting the aluminum frames.  (Read 1736 times)

bmm

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2010
Hi. 

I found today that the pane in the hull window was slightly loose. (Bavaria 32, 2010 - window shown in photo).  It wasn't falling out and the frame is fine, but I could push the pane from the inside and make it move.  It seems that the silicon(?) has weathered.  So I've taped it up as a temporary job.

I'm going to take it out, clean it up and re-seal around the edges with a silicon(?) sealant.  I wondered if anyone else has done this and has any tips?

I'm also watching Lazy Pelican's post, but thought I should start a new post with a different type of window.

Also wondering if anyone had tips on repainting the aluminum frames?  The black paint hasn't chipped off, but rather just come away as a whole piece.

Thanks.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
For repainting aluminium, you need to scrape/sand off the old paint, then use an etch primer to get it to stick. Then you can use black paint on top. If you happen to be in the UK, I can highlu recommend the aluminium etch primer from Fascinating Finishes Ltd: https://www.militaryvehiclepaint.co.uk/product_details.php?product_id=61711

My opinion about hull windows is to best remove them and fibreglass the hole, but that may be somewhat extreme  :kewl
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014

My opinion about hull windows is to best remove them and fibreglass the hole, but that may be somewhat extreme  :kewl

;D Yes, somewhat!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001

;D Yes, somewhat!

It does stop the leaks permanently!  :P
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014

It does stop the leaks permanently!  :P

I knew there'd be a plus side!

bmm

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2010
Thanks for the tip on the primer.   Much appreciated.   And yes fibreglassing did cross my mind!  But I think I'll just reseal.