Author Topic: Saildrive MS25S have water  (Read 2206 times)

Andrelam

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 44 ac
  • Boat Year: 2004
Saildrive MS25S have water
« on: September 26 2021, 15:43 »
Hello,
I have a engine D2-55 with saildrive MS25S. I have water in the saildrive. I want to purchase a new or rebuild one. My sailboat is on Miami now. Where can I buy it?
How long to rebuild mine?
Thanks
Ps sorry for my English

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Saildrive MS25S have water
« Reply #1 on: September 26 2021, 16:24 »
The only saildrives available new are the 130 and 150 and are extremely expensive - Approx £5000 in the UK. Second hand ones are difficult to find simply because once they fail the cost of rebuilding is too high.

Do you really need a replacement? Water usually gets in through failed seals in the lower unit which can be replaced easily. If the shaft is worn it can also be replaced or repaired with a sleeve. The expensive part to rebuild is the top end which should not be damaged just because there is water in the oil.

Suggest you drain the oil, replace the seals and bearings in the lower end and see if that cures your problem.

Captain Jan

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1997
Re: Saildrive MS25S have water
« Reply #2 on: October 06 2021, 05:02 »
As the saildrives get older, the reliability & maintainance will of course become more of a headache.  It is probably true that most saildrives out there have milky oil in them- ie water in the oil. The failure of the lower shaft seal is very common but not terminal. If not familiar with the unit, firstly scour youtube & the forums for info, but also find an engineer or engineering company familiar with the volvo leg.  First change the seals, but due to age, you will probably find the propeller drive shaft is scored at the seal point. This can be changed(£500) or sleeved(£15).  Sleeving can be unreliable as the sleeve is often put in the wrong place, but something needs to be done, & is a good start if the seal change is not enough. Your leg may be better for the clutch design than the 120 that was around at the same time, so that may last, but the shaft shims should be looked at & the selector also wears.  It is true the replacement leg, which is the 130, is well over £5000 but with luck you may find one for half that, as the engine /drive unit when bought as a unit, then split, is much more economical. Some engineers doing an engine change do not need the saildrive so sell it seperately.