Author Topic: Understanding Bavaria 34 Cruiser Steering  (Read 1370 times)

Petef

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Understanding Bavaria 34 Cruiser Steering
« on: June 26 2022, 12:33 »
I have a new to me 2008 B34; It has only just gone back in the water after a month or so of completing the Survey results (New rubber diaphragm for the sail leg, new prop, new Exhaust manifold and pipe to silencer, cleaned heat exchanger, replaced engine sea water hoses and and  toilet through hulls amongst other things. It's a very tight berth, so took her out for a few practice departure & arrivals with extra crew to fend off if required. I noticed that there seemed to be a "wobble" on the rudder you could feel through the wheel. Out of the water there was very little play a few mm's and the rudder turns easily.

I've tightened the top bearing on the rudder (as per the surveyor report) but have not been out to test as the Rear Admiral won't let me take it out until I have extra crew on board again (especially as it's steerage).

It took a while to find out how to tighten the top bearing (I didn't want to mess with it in case I dropped the rudder!) I couldn't find anywhere that describes how to do it. Once I'd figured it out it was quite simple to do (loosen the locking screw, put a rod in each hole and then use a bar (big screwdiver) between the bars to turn the bearing nut (at least I hope that was it), then tighten the locking screw.

Looking at the steering thru the access hole in the pedestal there are two chains going down to the  steering gearbox and then links to the rudder (No chains) via a gearbox. Why are there two chains going down the pedestal, I can't see where the chains go but it does look to me to be different locations, surely one would be sufficient to turn the rudder?

Can someone explain (or have a manual/diagram of) this steering system please I've looked at various steering systems but cannot seem to find anything on mine. There are those that have chain down the pedestal and cable around a quadrant, and those that have a solid bar down the pedestal and solid link to the rudder, but I've not seen a chain and solid link.

It's the 2 chain thing I find confusing. I'm asking because the chains seem to be a little slack. In as much as I can move the wheel maybe a couple of inches either way and the chain doesn't move immediately or perhaps it's something before the chain cogs causing the slack? Any suggestions welcome.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Understanding Bavaria 34 Cruiser Steering
« Reply #1 on: June 26 2022, 13:06 »
One chain down from the steering wheel axle goes on the steering gearbox, from there via the linkage to the rudder (not sure what type, no photo of that part). The other chain must be going to an autopilot drive, which drives the wheel axle via a sprocket.

There should be tensioning screws somewhere on the steering chain that goes to the wheel axle. The autopilot chain may have them too, or it may be tensioned by sliding the autopilot drive up and down in the slotted bracket. Have a look around (mirror, inspect camera, the usual boat acrobatics) and you should find all the bits. It's always good to familiarize yourself with important systems until you fully understand them.

If the chain doesn't move immediately when turning the wheel, you should also look into the top of the binnacle and see what's going on there. Might a missing key, loose axle bearing or the chain is so loose it jumps teeth, but normally it would only do that with a lot of rudder pressure.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Petef

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: June 26 2022, 13:44 »
Thanks, for your prompt reply, makes sense now. I could see one chain going to the gearbox, but the other slightly offset and it didn't occur to me that it would go to the auto pilot. I will have a look underneath the binnacle when next down at the boat. I'll also take my small camera, I only had my phone which was a bit big to get into the small space.

There are tensioning screws, but it would mean removing the chain clip to release the screws from the chain. i.e. undoing the chain (visions of it disappearing down a hole lol). I think that it may be more binacle area than chain.

Thanks again for your comments

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: June 26 2022, 18:09 »
One chain pulls rudder to starboard and the other to port.
if you have a slight wobble under power it might be because you have two bladed prop.
not unusual.

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: June 26 2022, 21:14 »
Yngmars answer is the right one! You can tension the chain with the integrated turnbuckles.

Petef

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: July 08 2022, 20:10 »
One chain pulls rudder to starboard and the other to port.
if you have a slight wobble under power it might be because you have two bladed prop.
not unusual.

There are only rods going to the rudder, the chains are from the top to bottom of the binacle. Yngmar's answer makes sense. But thanks for your input

Bobb

• Cadet
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 11 2022, 17:21 »
I have the same vessel and tension using the turnbuckle.

The wobble can be annoying and MIGHT indicate too much play at the gearbox on the bottom. Anyone know how to adjust that clearance?

Petef

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: July 17 2022, 22:21 »
Do you detach the chain first from the turn buckle? because if I were to turn the turnbuckle (I think) one way or the other: say tighten  the upper part, doesn't that un tighten the lower part and vice versa?

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: July 17 2022, 22:56 »
No! there is a left- hand thread at one side and a right-hand thread at the other side of the turnbucle

Petef

• Second Mate
« Reply #9 on: July 21 2022, 15:29 »
No! there is a left- hand thread at one side and a right-hand thread at the other side of the turnbucle

That's great news, I'll have a go when next down at the boat, thanks for that, I had visions of having to un-clip the chain from one end turn the turn buckle and then clip the chain back together. With my luck I could see the chain clip going ping and disappearing somewhere below that I couldn't reach lol.