Author Topic: Recaulcking teak cockpit  (Read 1349 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Recaulcking teak cockpit
« on: September 24 2021, 12:50 »
Dear,

Caulk between teak planks on some places are soft, and easily mark clothing.

We partly recaulk two years ago so I decide to recaulk whole cockpit.

First question, which is better Teak Decking Systems TDS SIS 440 or Sikaflex DC290 pro, primarily I mean longer lasting?

Currently price in Bauhaus is 12,31 eur (300 ml) Sikaflex 290 DC PRO and best price for TDS SIS 440 is 33 eur (600 ml) so Sikaflex is much cheaper.

Second question, how much do you estimate that I need caulk compound, image of cockpit in attachment?

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Recaulcking teak cockpit
« Reply #1 on: September 24 2021, 15:46 »
I had the same problem on our 34.
I tried something that someone recommended on the Bavaria Facebook page.
 Use teak cleaner first and then use a clear wood seal.
Oddly enough I found that the teak cleaner worked fine on it's own on one seat but I am going to apply the woodseal to both seats and this weekend I shall be doing the cockpit floor.
Clive
WISH

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: September 24 2021, 18:35 »
I'm getting ready to do the same project.  The weathered caulking is marking up my clothes.  I went with Teak Decking Systems.  Will let you know how well it works.  I also bought their tool to clean out the old stuff.  Works very well.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #3 on: September 25 2021, 17:10 »
I used TDS-SIS 440 and it was very good. About five years later when I threw the teak deck into the bin, the TDS-SIS 440 seams were still in good shape. Unlike the Sika product, it doesn't require primer, when you account for that, the TDS-SIS 440 was slightly cheaper at the time and also less work (no primer to apply). Would use that again unless prices have dramatically changed.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: September 26 2021, 10:50 »
I used TDS-SIS 440 and it was very good. About five years later when I threw the teak deck into the bin, the TDS-SIS 440 seams were still in good shape. Unlike the Sika product, it doesn't require primer, when you account for that, the TDS-SIS 440 was slightly cheaper at the time and also less work (no primer to apply). Would use that again unless prices have dramatically changed.

Thank you!

Please, can you estimate how much caulk I will need for cockpit.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #5 on: September 26 2021, 20:37 »
Simply measure the depth and width of a caulking trench and multiply by length. That gives you the volume, so now you know how much you need to buy. Add 20% extra for waste.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)