Author Topic: 2010 Bavaria 32 Cruiser Raymarine Autopilot installation, binnacle too wide  (Read 995 times)

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
Hi,

This topic was partially addressed in previous posts (I didn't see a resolution there, but have asked for one). Anyway, the forum is advising me to start a new topic, so here goes.

A technician is trying to install a Raymarine Autopilot (EV-100) on my 2010 Bavaria 32 Cruiser. (I'm in the UK, and the technician who is doing it is on the boat in Spain, but I'll be there in a few days). He sent me a video which shows the diameter of the drive ring as too small to mount the actuator on the binnacle, or conversely, that the binnacle is too wide. I wondered if anyone had faced a similar issue, and how they resolved it.

Obviously, a picture would be worth a thousand words.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Adam 

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
Having consulted the goldmine that is YouTube, I'm seeing various solutions along the lines of 'make a hole in the binnacle.'

If someone's done this on a 2010 Bavaria 32 Cruiser, and has specific input, or more thoughts on sealing said hole etc., I'd appreciate it.

I'll post the solution when we arrive at it.

Thx again.

A

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
What you have found on you tube sounds like the way it was installed on my 1999 Bavaria 36 Holiday -the drive motor is fitted through a hole in the binnacle so that the engagement lever is just accessible between the back of the wheel and the front of the binnacle. The hole is slightly larger than the  drive motor and is not sealed.

This was an original factory or dealer fit so I have always assumed it to be a 'standard' solution when the clearance between wheel and binnacle is limited. That said, looking at the photo in the previous post, there looks to be even less clearance than on my wheel.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
The sealing is not a problem as the bulkhead kit comes with a sealing ring that the body of the motor slides through.

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
Hi,

Thanks for feedback so far.

It looks like apart from making a hole in the console so the actuator/motor can be mounted, there's also insufficient clearance behind the wheel. I think someone mentioned shims but again, appreciate guidance on this, basically so I can provide the technician with further help, so I can get sailing!