Member Forums > Polls & Yacht Opinions

Bavaria 49 or 50

(1/2) > >>

CMO:
Hello,

We are a family of 7, 5 very young kids. We are looking to buy a boat to travel on for a few years, maybe longer. I like what I see for value in the Bavaria line of boats. Unfortunately I'm in Canada, and most of the boats are in Europe, not a huge problem for buying, but is a drag for tire (fender) kicking.

I'll have lots of questions, but I'll start with this. Why buy a 50 over a 49? The 49 appears to be slightly cheaper due to age, but is there other compelling reasons.

I can't get a definitive number on waterline to mast top on either boat, are either under 65'? It's not a deal breaker, but I'd like to be able to park at least part time at my folks place on the ICW. But like I said not the end of the world if I can't.

Yngmar:
Mast height is 20m (49) vs 22.3m (on the 50). I've found the data sheet for the Bavaria 49 and added it to the Downloads page here.

SYJetzt:
and here for the 50

CMO:
Thank you for the brochures.

Any advice on one over the other?

I'm putting aside 30% to refit the boat for cruising. Where is the best place on the boat to install a generator? Is there a good place?

Thanks

SYJetzt:
Both are pretty similar.
They are common in the Med and mostly run for charter companies.
All have their wear and tear, and a diligent survey is necessary.
The most common cause for sorting them out is a worn engine.
Usually they are advertised for being available after the charter season (in fall).
Its often a good advice to charter the boat this season to get an impression of its condition.
This charter boats aren't equipped as owners usually want it to be, so a major refit is likely, and in my opinion 30%  is the lower limit to spend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version