Author Topic: Anti fouling  (Read 1530 times)

Lunty

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2001
Anti fouling
« on: October 22 2021, 21:39 »
I have my 2001 Bavaria 37 in fresh water she’s coming out for the winter can anyone advise what anti fouling paint I should apply also does she have any straight through sea cocks I should remove to drain bilge completely

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Anti fouling
« Reply #1 on: October 22 2021, 23:19 »
You should not need antifoul in fresh water, but suggest you ask other boat owners on the lake/river what they use if any.

No there is no external drain for the bilge. There should be no water in the bilge anyway. If there is then you need to find the source of the leak and fix it. Leaks are usually from the fresh water system - the only such leak I had on my 37 same as yours was from a split hose on the calorifier, but other common sources include the shower on the transom. Seawater leaks are usually from either the engine water pump or the muffler when the ends corrode. Other leaks from outside are usually through deck fittings or stanchion bases. Water that does get into the bilges can take time to drain down to the pump sump because the cross ribs that reinforce the hull are hollow and water gets trapped in them, but drains out over time as the boat moves.

Once I solved my leaks my boat was dry for the rest of the time I had it.

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #2 on: October 26 2021, 02:48 »
Our Bavaria is kept on a freshwater lake - but we go through the locks frequently to salt water during the year.  I've found Sea Hawk paints to be the best and use their BioCop.  Check this link for their paint selector.  It depends if you want a hard paint or ablative. 
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 26 2021, 07:51 »
Our boat lives in fresh water and doesn't need antifouling.