Author Topic: panel 301 not functioning anymore  (Read 6368 times)

mutluthesailor

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40c
  • Boat Year: 2011
panel 301 not functioning anymore
« on: July 06 2021, 11:27 »
Hi,
The panel 301 is having problems.  Buttons not functioning. I have the yellow leds working. Also lcd screen is gone. Checked all fuses and relays but all seem to be OK.
This seems to be a common problem of wurth panels. So i like to replace same with alternative more durable and with less electronics. It will be nice to see the tank levels and battery levels as well

Any suggestions ?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: panel 301 not functioning anymore
« Reply #1 on: July 06 2021, 18:35 »
SVB has the previous panel 201, which IMHO was the last good one before it all went downhill with pointless electronics: https://www.svb.de/de/bavaria-panel-201-12-volt.html

The price is however quite silly. Personally I'd get a custom front panel made by Schaeffer: https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/

And then assemble it myself with suitable switches and breakers/fuses. There are plenty of tank and battery monitoring options available to add to that - take your pick.

It's not much more work to assemble your own panel - the bulk of the job is connecting it all to the boat!
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: July 07 2021, 09:45 »
€1273 for a switch panel!!

If ever there was a reason to make your own that is it

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: July 07 2021, 10:53 »
Who ever has problems with the Bavaria Switch panels should contact company Cabotron.
---> https://www.cabotron-elektronik.de/
Very friendly service, they helped me with my Water/Battery Level indication. Cabotron took over all service from CALIRA, original maker of Bavaria panels.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

mutluthesailor

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: July 08 2021, 12:58 »
thanks for replies. Actaully i would like to go to a very simple mode or a full electronic mode where i can control switches from my ipad :) But seems marine technology/electronics are ages behind the todays technology or too expensive!
https://www.philippi-online.de/fileadmin/philippi/Public/Content/articles_info/philippi20DE-BAV_REFIT.pdf
Above panel seemed to be a good alternative arnd same cost of original panel. But they say delivery is around 2 weeks and i do not have such time as now in Greece and will sail in 1 week.
Seems i will have to order from SVB bcs custom panel makers seem to be too busy due to high season.
let me know if you have good marine electronic service here in Piraeus able to make such custom panel.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08 2021, 13:47 »
The panel 201 is not a drop in replacement for the panel 301!

I doubt the plugs are compatible and you'll need some pretty major rewiring and connecting, not to mention figure out the meters and senders. If you're not used to this kind of job, it'll take you at least a week to figure out everything.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08 2021, 13:47 »
Not to mention the physical dimension probably don't match.

catlotion

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: July 09 2021, 11:25 »
Mine is misbehaving a little - the waste water always reads 75% (although presumably that's the sensor), but I also get a 'Diesel warning - 99%' when the engine is running.  Anyone have any idea what this means?  It happens regardless of the tank level and only when engine running...?

thanks

mutluthesailor

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: July 10 2021, 05:44 »
so new update:
as i need to make it quick, decided to obtain original one from SVB and sent them serial no of panel i have with photos and hull number
They checked with Bavaria yard and unfo advise no panel is available!

So seems i am left alone at Greece and seems only solution is cut the wiring and convert it ot a simple on/off switch panel.

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 11 2021, 04:50 »
This situation is really frustrating to hear about, and I’m sorry you’re having to deal with it.

I’ve got a 301 panel in my 2009 Bavaria 31 Cruiser, and it’s always been a concern of mine that if it fried out I’d be stuck. In fact I’ve been considering simply getting another one to have as a backup.

But tell me, am I missing something. On the SVB website it says they have 301 panels in stock. Is that NOT the case?

mutluthesailor

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: July 11 2021, 07:04 »
actually eventough the panel numbers and back side printed part number is the same, seems Bavaria made some changes on Panel and added extra sockets. So the panel 301 on SVB is slightly different thn wht i have on my 2011 Bavaria. To be sure i sent them Hull number and photo of backside of the panel showing serial number/part number and SVB checked with the Bavaria. Thn advised me they do not have the suitable panel anymore! I can still order the panel on SVB but if tht does not fit, i will waste euro 1.000 which is not ignorable for me.

As an alternative my technicians advised me they can start cutting wires and switch to simple Panel but thn there will be no turming back as Panel 301 has some different connectors.
I am really stuck and now staying in a hotel in Greece with my family (boat is totally blacked out as panel is not able to power any of equiments on board) waiting for the panel to be operative again.

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 17 2021, 15:05 »
Just writing to follow up on this thread Mutluthesailor, and ask what you ended up doing. Hope you were able to find a resolution to this problem, and I’d love to hear what that was….

Koen Leekens

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2013
« Reply #12 on: August 08 2021, 09:06 »
I am a bit late with my reply - I have the same boat and similar issues with my DC panel. So far I have been able to use the extra functions to replace the (electronic) switches which no longer work. I like the Philippi presented solution. If I continue to lose functions, than this is probably the way to go.

I did ask Bavaria for help but only got a link to the manual.

Hope you find a good solution you can share.

mgelpi

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: October 07 2021, 06:05 »
I was just getting ready to order the 301 panel for my 2006 Bav 33 after damage from a lightening strike. 

Does anyone know if the SVB panel will work?   If it has been changed from the original design, which year model boats is it designed to accommodate?

mgelpi

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: October 26 2021, 20:46 »
I called SVB, gave them my year and hull number (2006 Bav 33 Cruiser), they called Bavaria to confirm the panel would work on my boat.  Bavaria confirmed that indeed it would.  I bought it and had it installed (took about 10 minutes) and it’s working perfectly. 

The panel was identical on the front and had slight differences to the electrical components on backside, but everything my boat needed had an exact home on the new panel.

Since my issue was due to overheating resulting from a lightening strike my insurance is paying.