Author Topic: Coolant Filler Cap  (Read 1271 times)

BillGiles

• Second Mate
Coolant Filler Cap
« on: June 30 2021, 22:12 »
Our Bavaria 36 (2003) has a standard Volvo MD2030 engine. I noticed that the coolant filler cap on the heat exchanger was rusty. I thought that I would change it as a standard filler cap costs only about £20.  When I searched on line I found that the cap with it little Tee junction pipe attached is over £200. This is quite mind blowing. I know that Volvo parts can be dear but this is ridiculous.  The part number is 3581441. Has anyone else come across this or met this situation?

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Coolant Filler Cap
« Reply #1 on: June 30 2021, 23:27 »
The cap with the tee piece attached is for where a separate header/expansion tank is fitted.

My MD2030 has no header tank, just a 'standard' cap on the heat exchanger and these are available from www.parts4engines.com

Here is a link to the relevant part which I suspect is what your cap is  https://www.parts4engines.com/volvo-penta-md2030-header-tank-cap/

Suggest you give them a call to check -they are very helpful. No connection -just a satisfied customer.

Or the same part is available from a Volvo dealer for about 10 times the cost!

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: July 01 2021, 17:02 »
Why do they use a T fitting on the cap?  Both hoses go to the expansion tank.  It seems overly complicated.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: July 02 2021, 22:20 »
My understanding is that the T piece is a type of one way valve, so expanding coolant feeds into the top of header tank and then flows out of the bottom of the header tank, back down into the heat exchanger, thereby creating a closed circuit with no loss of coolant 

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
« Reply #4 on: July 03 2021, 14:08 »
Sand it and paint it.