Author Topic: Help replacing toilet output pipe -Bavaria 36  (Read 2087 times)

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Help replacing toilet output pipe -Bavaria 36
« on: June 17 2021, 22:15 »
It turns out my toilet outlet pipe to the holding tank on my 2004 Bavaria 36 ( which is new to me )  is completely calcified up. It’s full of calcium deposits and has effectively blocked

I see no option but to replace it. But it runs behind the moulding and seems trapped by it. ( mines the two cabin version )

I don’t see an easy way to release the pipe behind the moulding

I’ve tried to pull it from  under the sink but it seems trappped

Any one have any help ,,experiences

I know it’s hopelessly calcified as I pulled off the holding tank end and I can three down about three feet of pipe buts it’s all blocked solid further on

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Help replacing toilet output pipe -Bavaria 36
« Reply #1 on: June 18 2021, 07:16 »
I can’t help with you specific problem, but when you do get the hose off simply beat the hose on the dock and the calcified contents will fall out. You might want to wait until the neighbours are away! No need to replace.
I did this 9 years ago on our B39 and it’s been fine since.

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: June 18 2021, 07:29 »
Thanks. My issue is the pipe runs behind the sink /toilet moulding with no access

Like lots of boat jobs , an easy job made difficult by the construction of the boat

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: June 18 2021, 18:55 »
Post some images, it will help understand the problem 🤔

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: June 18 2021, 19:27 »
My 2c - How I would adress the challenge.

1. By ab endoscopic snake camera with light to see if the pipe is 'just stuck' or fastened with e.g. cable tie.

2. If not positively fastened, use liberal amounts of lubricant like diswashing liquid to help the pipe slide away.

BR,

Tommi

s/y Anniina

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: June 19 2021, 13:48 »
not sure what this looks like as I do not yet have a holding tank, however I have had a lot of success in the past with all sorts of blocked pipes by getting a length of net curtain wire about the pipe length, then bending one  end over about  just under the radius of the pipe and putting it in an electric drill.   Make sure its a drill with reverse, to get it out .   May save you a lot of work.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 19 2021, 14:07 »
I think you will find the problem is that the pipe has lost flexibility because it is blocked. I assume your holding tank is in the cockpit locker so you have pipes both going out to the tank and coming back to the seacock. If that is the case, both will need replacing and you might have to bite the bullet and cut the pipes at the toilet and holding tank end and remove both of these to give you room to work around the ends of the hoses, Obviously remove from the seacock as well. In theory the pipes should then just pull through - that is the way they were installed, but the lack of flex will make it a struggle. This will also give you a chance to clean the tank thoroughly. Also worth replacing the outlet seacock and fittings with DZR items.

Use Butyl sanitation hose for replacement as this is more flexible and less prone to leaks and smells. The calcification is caused by urine being left in the system. To minimise this always pump enough seawater through after using to clear the pipe to the tank - 12 pumps minimum. Avoid leaving waste in the tank for any length of time. When you leave the boat pump freshwater through the system so there is no urine/seawater mix left and leave the outlet seacock open.

Horrible job ahead of you, but if you follow the advice it will be the last time you have to do it. Don't forget to pass a spell on the errant previous owner for allowing it to get in this state.

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: June 23 2021, 06:22 »
Well I solved the problem by running a new pipe out the right hand side of the toilet through a new hole in the FG moulding

Much simpler run to the holding tank

I will attempt to pull out the old pipe but failing  that I’ll cut it into sections and  cap of the bit I can’t remove

The run from the holding tank to the sea cock etc doesn’t seem as bad

The boat is new to me , the heads were used by the previous owner only for peeing as he lived on board in a marina.

Anyways so far so good

I’ve a weekly flush of vinegar added to the regular boat tasks

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: June 23 2021, 11:15 »
Vinegar not really necessary, just flush through with fresh water - I use the shower to fill the bowl and then pump and leave the system open when you leave the boat. Water stays in the pipe from the loo to the tank and if that has urine and seawater in it deposits will form

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #9 on: July 08 2021, 14:53 »
Hydrochloric acid  50/50 mix with hot fresh water, leave it in at least 1 day. But I leave it in for a week so times.

And before the members  come back and say that's Terrible,  I have  been doing that for 30 years and my pipe has never been changed and the joker valve must be 10 years old by now.

2 more tips from me.

Viinigar does not work it's an old salts tail.

Leave the mixture in the holding tank and you will never have to declare the side walls.

You choose

Odysseus
Odysseus

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #10 on: July 09 2021, 19:44 »
Leaving HCL in the holding tank overnight seams to clear all deposits effectively. Easy way to purchase is to buy 'Brick Acid' from builders merchants (or on-line) and use a 50% solution.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: July 10 2021, 19:46 »
Hydrochloric acid  50/50 mix with hot fresh water, leave it in at least 1 day. But I leave it in for week.

Hydrochloric acid is powerfull but it can destroy metal parts.

Organic acids are weaker but they can not demage metals.

Hot vinegar is more powerful than cold, you can consider citric acid wich can be more concentrate and therefore more powerful or concentrate acetic acid. I am sure, if they are hot or at least warm and if are process is enough long the results will not be missed.