Author Topic: Coach Roof Glass Panel  (Read 1362 times)

Sunharvester

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
Coach Roof Glass Panel
« on: June 29 2021, 11:04 »
Not sure when this happened. Curious if any other Cision owners are seeing this.  Crazing all around the edges and now this crack!!

The gap suggests to me at least, that the glass is under some tensile loading. Or it shrunk? 
This happen to anyone else? 

I can't find any markings either. 

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
Re: Coach Roof Glass Panel
« Reply #1 on: June 30 2021, 12:26 »
Sun harvester

Firstly confirm with the factory if it’s glass.What type, laminated or toughen glass. Or acrylic.
From my previous working life it looks like a crack in what is known as laminated glass.
The crazing around the edges also looks like a contamination of the sealant to the inter layer of the laminated glass. This is only if it’s glass.
If it’s acrylic then it’s most likely a stress crack and the crazing is the adhesive seal and starting to fail, UV.
Bavaria seem to use urethane based sealants which in my opinion are second rate to silicone sealants when it come to sealing glass.
Let me know what Bavaria say.
Cheers
Club56
Vision 42 2013

Sunharvester

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
Re: Coach Roof Glass Panel
« Reply #2 on: July 01 2021, 12:59 »
Club

It IS acrylic.  I suspect this was partly caused by me using a padeye that's about 50cm off the mast headed towards the port deck organizer.  I have moved the block to the mast but still need to figure that out. Anyhow, I think you are right on the sealant as well.

Trend says the company that made these no longer does but they can make one up.