Author Topic: Electric Winch Straining and stopping  (Read 1441 times)

Sunharvester

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
Electric Winch Straining and stopping
« on: June 22 2021, 22:06 »
Hi all,

I’m hoping someone might have experience with the revo winches. Basically I have one on port and one on starboard.  The port winch runs out of juice. Just can’t maintain the pull even if it’s light.  Sometimes it doesn’t turn at all.  I have a similar problem with the starboard winch but less dramatic. Allegedly the winches were recently serviced by the previous owner.

I have read a lot about the control box causing these issues.

However, first I need to determine if the winch motors are good.  If motor what would I see with volts or amps to indicate that is the problem.  Does anyone know?

The control box is in the aft locker looking new and closed up tight in a. NEMA enclosure. So I don’t think I have any corrosion there. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

ew

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Electric Winch Straining and stopping
« Reply #1 on: June 24 2021, 04:26 »
i would be looking to see how much power the winches need to run satisfactorily, and checking that the fitted cabling is of sufficient size to carry that amount of current. Next, are the batteries that provide the current in good condition.?

Sunharvester

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: June 27 2021, 15:43 »
I am starting to think it's the batteries. As I see a difference between when the battery charger is on and when it's off. When it's off nothing happens.  I am going to load test the service batteries.

Will advise.

Sunharvester

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: June 29 2021, 10:59 »
Indeed it was the batteries.

Excited to report the winches appear to be operating properly!!

The battery connections allthough well maintained and recent, and appeared proper, had 2 failed post connections on both sides.  There was still a connection to allow charging and discharging. But heavy electric loads resulted in these fasteners losing their connection.  I ripped it all down and re built it. The connector that were failing convert a top post to a  bolt connection. The bolts appear to be stamped or pressed into the lead.   Works great. Once.  Any jostling or jiggling, which almost never happens on a sailboat, compromises the bolt connection.