Author Topic: Hose to Valve near Failure  (Read 1669 times)

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Hose to Valve near Failure
« on: June 10 2021, 06:13 »
Our 2005 Bavaria 36 had the boot or diaphragm replaced 2020. This was the year to replace the thruhulls and valves as there was a bit of rust and discolouration possibly from corrosion showing on the holding tank valve.

The removal of the head intake thruhull and valve went fine. The holding tank thruhull was next. When I removed the hose clamps and tried to loosen the hose from the hose barb on the valve, the hose barb broke away from the valve inside the hose. Yikes. You can imagine my surprise. No telling when the hose and hose Barb would of separated from the valve and flooded the boat. While I do close my valves while I am not staying on the boat but not when we row to shore, visiting etc.

The valves and thruhull I used for the head intake, holding tank thruhll and a new wash down pump thruhull were all Trudesign. Installation was simple and secure with the load bearing collars.

Just my experience. Hope you check your thruhulls and valves.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Hose to Valve near Failure
« Reply #1 on: June 10 2021, 07:44 »
I had 2 or 3 that did that.  It was always the hose tails that snapped off.

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #2 on: June 11 2021, 05:06 »
Yikes, thanks for posting.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: June 11 2021, 15:52 »
Better do that job this winter then!  ;D

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: June 12 2021, 14:17 »
As I was replacing the 1 1/2" seacock in the forward head this spring, the elbow attached to it was crushed when I tried to remove the hose.  I didn't think bronze would degrade like that, but I'm glad I found it when I did.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 12 2021, 15:54 »
It is not bronze but brass and has dezincified. In Europe now the most common replacements are a corrosion resistant bras called DZR. However this may not be available in the US so the choice may either be bronze or change to Tru Design non metallic

https://www.trudesign.nz/marine/products

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: June 13 2021, 09:19 »
If you  use Trudesign then good luck in finding size 3/4"   the UK seems to have sold out everywhere.  Iv'e been looking for weeks.   I will add that after reading the stories on this site about the seacocks I did decide to change mine as the boat is 21 years old.   However I found the seacocks themselves were all fine but the hose connection pieces had thinned a little, not that bad though.  Maybe a previous owber had changed them and not recorded it.