Author Topic: A new mainsail  (Read 1990 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
A new mainsail
« on: May 30 2021, 05:15 »
My mainsail requires replacement (in mast)
There are almost no actual sailmakers here in Israel - most of them are canvaswork makers that act also as sailmakers brokers. The one I usually work with represents Hyde sails and offers a sail of their Voyage series. Any one has sails from them and can share an opinion?
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: A new mainsail
« Reply #1 on: May 30 2021, 07:06 »
I don’t know Hyde, but I’ve just had a very nice Vectran Main made by Quantum in Athens. Pat the owners son speaks very good English and has been unfailingly helpful.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 30 2021, 08:51 »
Voyager is Hydes mid range sail (better cloth choice, better finish, choice of cuts etc). Much the same as the other UK sailmakers offer. Probably worth working through a local agent if he knows enough to talk you through the choices of cloths and whether for example you want battens or not, plus measuring your boat and then fitting the sail. Presumably he will also deal with the import formalities. For comparison might be worth getting quotes direct from other UK firms such as Kemps or Crusader who will ship direct to you. Then you can weigh up whether it is worth paying the premium for local service.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: May 30 2021, 09:51 »
You're also far enough east to consider the far east sailmakers that deliver by mail order :)

Lee sails seems to generally deliver satisfying quality, although you must make very sure to get the measurements right.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: May 30 2021, 16:52 »
Thanks for all the pointers - will check and decide
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: May 31 2021, 16:59 »
If you have the time you could get a new sail made in Turkey - there are several lofts. I used Mobi sails in Marmaris last  year  and they gave great service but there are others. if you don't want to  go  that distance there may be a loft  in Mersin