Author Topic: Lewmar portlights UV  (Read 9383 times)

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Lewmar portlights UV
« on: August 26 2011, 11:38 »
Hello Benkay,

My Lewmar portlights (Bav 32 2003 ) are badly grazed due to UV and cleaning material by the previous owner. Can one obtain the glass on its own and if so at what cost?

[ADMIN: Moved from Scuttlebutt thread: Supplier Input]

TonyS

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Lewmar portlights UV
« Reply #1 on: August 28 2011, 18:04 »
Hadlow Marine Services, http://212.69.200.177/. Offer a very competitive price with bits to do it yourself. Alternatively they can do it for you. I haven't used them but have a friend who changed all his port lights for £170. They adverise in All at Sea. Tony

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 30 2011, 09:06 »
My portlight's are the later type with bonded catches, Hadlow marines suggestion " sell the boat and give the problem to someone else"   not very helpful

benkay

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: August 30 2011, 12:05 »
Hi Mike,

You have "new standard" portlights. The acrylics (with pre-bonded hinges and handles) can be obtained separately yes.

On each of your current windows there should be a number stamped or engraved into the acrylic (between the handles on the lower edge).

Please post these codes here and I can then work out the appropriate part numbers.

BR, Ben

Brian

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: August 30 2011, 18:07 »
Can be purchased from Lewmar see web site.

http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=8800&type=10&channel=1

Bavaria spares listed at the bottom of size list.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 31 2011, 18:05 »
Thanks Benkay,     The No's engraved are  A0816-14A3.  They are app 700x19mm

benkay

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: September 01 2011, 08:15 »
Hello Mike,

OK, replacement acrylic part number for those is 361341990 .

I recommend contacting your local Lewmar retailer, or calling our UK distributor Aquafax direct on 02380 454045

Hope that helps,

Ben

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
« Reply #7 on: July 17 2013, 13:20 »
I have had same problem with crazing , Ive got replacement acrylics from lewmar ,

Having problem fitting , looks I will have to remove frames to swap over hinge and lock catch fittings as they cannot be removed with winddow in place , cant reuse as new window pivot pin is 5mm as opposed to old 4mm .

anyone else had fun doing this ?, am told windows should "fall " out when backing ring removed ????

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 17 2013, 23:12 »
Will reply thurs when I have more time   No need to take out window

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
« Reply #9 on: July 18 2013, 12:05 »
Cheers look forward to hearing your experience ,not keen to remove frames

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 18 2013, 12:39 »
I replaced two of mine recently.  Should be a 2 hour job but in reality took four times as long. Problem is that the brackets have a lip that goes in at an angle and helps support when screw is tightened. On mine the bottom ones came out easy but the top fittings needed a lot of brute force with a screwdriver to lever them out, I then had to use a Dremel to enlarge the slot to insert the new brackets. Lewmar have beefed up the fittings otherwise it would be a straight swop. I made up a lever but cutting the old window to make one bracket fixing to reattach to the frame to make it easier to add leverage.  I thought about taking out the frame screws but was concerned about the port leaking. If you are based in Hants or Dorset I may be able to help or sent me a P/M and we could talk on the phone