Author Topic: fuel pipe question  (Read 1403 times)

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
fuel pipe question
« on: April 22 2021, 20:03 »
hi all, has anyone looked at the fuel pipe run from the tank to the filters, the question is ,1) does the fuel go from the tank, to the tap, then to the pre filter followed by the engine..or2) does it go from the tank then pre filter then the tap then engine filter.
the thought is that run 2 would be better as it gets any large bits out before the tap that is a known blockage point. (without adding additional in line filters )
just thinking?
will have a look at ours this weekend
Phil

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: fuel pipe question
« Reply #1 on: April 22 2021, 23:12 »
My fuel flows as in option 1. I however installed a (clear plastic) disposable filter before the valve. It hasn’t required replacement in at least 6 years. I point out, though, I only buy fuel from auto filling stations that filter fuel at the pump.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: April 23 2021, 09:08 »
We also have something similar to your 'Option 1'.
 i.e.   Tank----Outboard Bulb (for quick priming)-----Glass water trap with screen filter-----Fuel cock----Primary Filter (with water trap)---> ENGINE (fuel pump and engine filter)..
Like 'PEA-JAY' it's a very good idea to put a crud screen before the fuel cock since Bavaria tend to fit fuel cocks that have a smaller bore than the pipes that feeds it, this creates a 'choke point' as any gunge that's drawn up the pipe from the tank will probably block the fuel cock. :-\..............Hope it helps......Bill.

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: April 23 2021, 10:57 »
the question came about due to me reading about blocked taps and seeing some of the replys about adding an extra filter before the tap. then i couldnt remember looking at ours ran, also that on hgv's they usualy have the water trap/strainer mouted near the tank  before any of the main filters. leading me to wonder if it would be worth swapping the pipes around to the second layout or if anyone had already done it that way.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 23 2021, 11:42 »
The most common way of preventing blockages in the shut off valve is to put an in line filter in before the valve. Whether you actually need one depends on your view of the likelihood of a blockage there. Never had any problem myself, but that is perhaps because I only use white diesel from Tesco. Equally never had any sign of dirt in either of the other 2 filters, but I guess if you are cruising around wider areas and taking fuel on from unknown sources it is wise to add an in line filter.

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 23 2021, 20:21 »
In line transparent filter also on my 40 Cruiser, and street fuel filtered by Mr Funnel