Author Topic: Spinlock hard to open/close  (Read 1726 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Spinlock hard to open/close
« on: March 17 2021, 17:08 »
Recently the Spinlock clutches got hard to operate.
Yeterday I cleaned them as well as I could - sprayed into the mechanism water with a little dishwashing detergent, moved the levers back and forth, washed with clean water - repeated several times. They are now slightly better.
Should I also lubricate them (Silicone or Teflon lubricant)?
If not - any other things to do to improve the situation?
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Spinlock hard to open/close
« Reply #1 on: March 17 2021, 17:34 »
From memory of a few years ago, so might be a bit fuzzy: When I bought the boat, the Spinlock triple clutch lever axle was seized and opening one opened all three. I tapped the axle out, which took a lot of tapping as it was jammed in tight. There was no corrosion visible, seemed like some part had swelled up? I used the Dremel with a suitable small tool (can't remember which) to clean up and minimally enlarge the holes in the levers. It has been fine ever since.

I think you can see the end of axle on the side of the clutch. Put a mark on it and then see if it turns. The axle shouldn't be turning in the clutch body, instead the lever should be turning on the axle. If it does turn, I would suggest removing the axle and doing as above.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: March 19 2021, 06:35 »
I will check it, although in my case there are 3 single levers, so the middle one will be hard to check this way, but if the other two will show this behavior than probably also the middle one.
Still do not know if some kind of lubrication is advisable
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: March 19 2021, 08:50 »
I keep finding more and more uses for graphite powder as a lubricant especially as it won’t dry off. Unfortunately it’s a little messy but worth a try!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: March 19 2021, 14:39 »
I don't think you can do much harm with some silicone grease on the axle. Keep it well away from the parts that touch the rope (the cam and the bottom part it clamps against), obviously.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)