Author Topic: oil pressure sender VP TMD22P  (Read 2195 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
oil pressure sender VP TMD22P
« on: March 15 2021, 12:28 »
I want to upgrade to  a de lux panel with gauges as well as lights/alarm. To do  this I need to  fit senders to  the engine - the VP price for the oil pressure sender (made by VDO I think) is exorbitant - there should be a generic alternative. Has anyone  knowledge of this?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: oil pressure sender VP TMD22P
« Reply #1 on: March 15 2021, 13:50 »
I think the engine already has the right senders, at least on our MD22 it has the dual ones which have both outputs - for the basic alarm light and for the gauge (unused in our case). Have a look if it isn't the same on your TMD22. They should have markings on them and IIRC they were Bosch and I could find a datasheet for the oil pressure sender, but it was some time ago :)

Then you just need to find a gauge that matches the sender, which shouldn't be too difficult.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 16 2021, 12:11 »
Thanks I'll take a look next  time I am on the boat. I know from experience with a D2 55 that the gauge senders are not fitted as standard. Hope to  be surprised!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: March 16 2021, 13:41 »
Yup, it's definitely already a 3 pin sensor, see this thread with lots of details: https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/volvo-penta-md22p-b-oil-pressure-sender.429464/

There's even a data sheet with the diagram for resistance vs pressure, which should help :)
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: October 11 2021, 13:41 »
I wonder if this sensor makes sense, is going to be on the instrument gradual pressure drop as the oil level drops or the pressure will be normal as long as the pump has oil and after it loses the oil supply the pressure will drop dramatically.

Somehow it seems to me that this option with sudden jumps is more likely, in which case this sensor has no advantage over the alarm.   

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #5 on: October 11 2021, 19:10 »
I wonder if this sensor makes sense, is going to be on the instrument gradual pressure drop as the oil level drops or the pressure will be normal as long as the pump has oil and after it loses the oil supply the pressure will drop dramatically.

Somehow it seems to me that this option with sudden jumps is more likely, in which case this sensor has no advantage over the alarm.   

Yes. You're quite right, as long as the pump has oil it will read normally, even if at a very low level, so in that there is really no great advantage over the alarm..
Except where the engine overheating, maybe due to low oil level, the pressure will drop...
The main purpose of the pressure gauge is to indicate the condition of the engine, particularly evident at tick-over...

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 28 2021, 19:45 »
I had to give up on this idea when I discovered my de luxe panel harness had different terminal fittings -  same number of pins but they are thicker. So my idea now  is to  keep my basic panel and add a water temperature gauge - plenty of space with the fuel gauges. Anyone got some thoughts on this. I have the gauge  but how do  I wire it independent of the panel?