Author Topic: Bavaria cabin downlighter help please.  (Read 1385 times)

Daryl28

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Bavaria cabin downlighter help please.
« on: February 11 2021, 21:33 »
Hi. I'm looking to the forum for a bit of help please. I'm currently in the process of changing the interior cabin bulbs from halogen to led's. One of the spot lights is missing the glass lens and also the black circular circlip that holds the glass in place. Does anybody know if you can buy the glass lens and circlip separately? The boat is a Bavaria 42 Cruiser from 2008. It has the generic chrome spotlight with black rocker switch, that I think was fitted to every Bavaria from that era. Is it still possible to purchase the exact replacement spotlight? I've looked on SBV and I can't see it on their website. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Daryl.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria interior cabin spotlights. Help please.
« Reply #1 on: February 12 2021, 06:11 »
Don't know a supplier for the glass lens or black ring but my 2c:

If you change to disc-type G4 led lamp, I don't see any reason to hunt desperately for the glass lens. I changed my halogens to disc-type led lamps and have also 1 or 2 glass lenses missing without any adverse effects. The glass lens is important for halogen lights to prevent touching hot lamp and getting fingerprints on bulb. Fingerprints on halogen bulb will reduce the bulb lifetime significantly.

Some generic round glass lenses can be found on ebay or Chinese webshops under "flashlight replacement lens" category if you are lucky with the diameter.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina   

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Bavaria interior cabin spotlights. Help please.
« Reply #2 on: February 12 2021, 06:13 »
On my B36(2002), I changed all of the original light fittings for the low profile chromed fittings you can see in the attached photo. They were smaller in overal diameter than the original light fitting which meant that when the original fitting was removed, it left a circular depression in the soft headlining. The new light fittings were placed in the centre of those circular depressions, so that it looks like this was part of the decor. the new fittings were purchased through ebay at around £9 each. Like the original fittings each light has its own on/off switch which remains slightly luminous at night after use. The lights are not user serviceable, so its worthwhile to buy a few extras for spares, but in five or more years of intermittent use, none of the new fittings gave any trouble. I think they provide a little more light than the original fittings, and a shade more headroom. They are available with various different styles of trim if chrome is not your thing, and with soft white or bright white outputs.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Daryl28

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Re: Bavaria cabin downlighter help please.
« Reply #4 on: February 14 2021, 11:52 »
Thank you ever so much for all the replies and the link to where I can buy a new interior dome light. All your help is much appreciated. I think for the time being I'm not going to concern my myself about the missing lens and go with advice from Anniina, and just run without a lens for the time being. Looking forward to getting out on the water. Atb. Daryl