Author Topic: Portlights- Bavari Ocean 38  (Read 4921 times)

1simon

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
Portlights- Bavari Ocean 38
« on: July 13 2020, 09:04 »
Hi  All,

I have water leaking in from most of my portlights in my Bavaria Ocean 38.
I think the black sealing rubber  is a bit brittle.
I am attaching pics.
What is the brand of the portlight , so that i can source the sealing rubber to change it?
Is it a simple job?
Should i look out for anything else?

Simon

1simon

• First Mate
Re: Portlights- Bavari Ocean 38
« Reply #1 on: July 13 2020, 09:05 »
Pic of the rubber

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: July 13 2020, 10:27 »
They look like Gebo Econoline portlights.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: July 13 2020, 21:51 »
You can get the seals from SVB24.com  As Yngmar says:  Gebo Econoline.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 13 2020, 22:22 »
Before you replace them, suggest you wash them with soap and water. When dry smear with Vaseline (petroleum jelly) as this may reduce or even stop the leaks.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: July 14 2020, 08:22 »
Before you replace them, suggest you wash them with soap and water. When dry smear with Vaseline (petroleum jelly) as this may reduce or even stop the leaks.

👍👍

1simon

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: July 14 2020, 13:10 »

Actually, i did wash them with warm water and detergent,  but not with petroleum jelly (  what is that?).
Its just that looking at the rubber,   they look  brittle and cracked and i thought  they should be replaced.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 14 2020, 14:00 »
Actually, i did wash them with warm water and detergent,  but not with petroleum jelly (  what is that?).
Its just that looking at the rubber,   they look  brittle and cracked and i thought  they should be replaced.
[/quote]

I used “Vaseline” which is a petroleum jelly that you might be able to purchase from a pharmacy Where it is available in very small Plastic containers for medical uses. My portlights have not leaked at all since using the stuff. I replace it annually, when I remember !!

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
« Reply #8 on: July 21 2020, 15:37 »
This weekend the portlight was leaking over the galley and I recalled the below. I washed the seal with soap and water, vaselined it and presto! No leak the next day!...I've now been tasked by the 1st mate to do the other seals...  :-[ ::)

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
« Reply #9 on: July 21 2020, 15:50 »
We (me) would like to begin the process of replacing the crazed "glass" on our B38Ocean.  We are wondering if anyone else has done the full rebuild, including gaskets or if it's better to just replace them.  Ours leak during light rain when slightly opened (dog screws still attached).  Some worse than others, however we are now losing all of them when it starts to rain to avoid the clean-up.  Thoughts as to the better path forward?

1simon

• First Mate
« Reply #10 on: July 22 2020, 16:25 »
Thank for your suggestions. Leaks have now diminished noticeably.  I am hoping that with repeated application of warm water , soap, and vaseline,  leaks will disappear completely.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 23 2020, 14:31 »
The warm water and soap is done first to remove the dirt that otherwise accumulates within the grooves in the seal. It is important then dry the seals before smearing them with vaseline.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: July 23 2020, 15:01 »
We (me) would like to begin the process of replacing the crazed "glass" on our B38Ocean.  We are wondering if anyone else has done the full rebuild, including gaskets or if it's better to just replace them.  Ours leak during light rain when slightly opened (dog screws still attached).  Some worse than others, however we are now losing all of them when it starts to rain to avoid the clean-up.  Thoughts as to the better path forward?

Jeff, part of your question asks if it is better just to replace them (your portlights), and this depends entirely on the depth of your pocket and whether you like emptying it. Ouchouchouch.
If your portlights were made by Lewmar, then their name is probably moulded into the acrylic. On my B36(2002) the name appears near the lower edge of the portlight and can be difficult to see, particularly if the portlights are as badly crazed as mine were before I sorted the problem as described elsewhere under Modifications and Equipment in the thread headed “Crazed Portlights and Hatches). Also on the Lewmar portlights there is a number which you would need to make a note of and which is even more difficult to read than is the manufacturers name. However, it is possible that your portlights are made by a different manufacturer, though the fact that they are badly crazed tends to point towards Lewmar who went through a period of using a poor quality acrylic, and where those who knew about their problems were sometimes able to negotiate a price reduction. I wasnt aware at the time I replaced mine of that particular problem, so I got on and did a DIY job which turned out much better than I’d hoped and at a price arguably better than any discount that Lewmar might have offered. If your portlights are Lewmar, and are specific for Bavaria’s then be aware that they may have modified the portlights since yours were originally fitted. On mine they had increased the hinge pins from 4mm to 5mm thickness, and the hinges and catches were themselves of significantly larger dimensions such that replacement acrylics would not fit directly without also buying a separate (in the uk) fitting kit.
I wish you good luck with your project.

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #13 on: July 23 2020, 22:57 »
From the photo they look identical to those on my B36 2000, which I have just replaced due to crazing. They are Gebo Econoline portlights and very easy to replace, unlike the Lewmars, with two screws per hinge and one screw per catch. I simply removed one that was used as a template for all 6 and they cost me a very reasonable £67 each.

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
« Reply #14 on: July 24 2020, 09:59 »
Steve,
I am looking to replace my crazed Gebo portlights this winter on my B35E 2000. Can you provide details of who supplied the acrylic as that is a very good price.
Thanks Mike

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
« Reply #15 on: July 24 2020, 23:09 »
Hi Mike,

I used the following company based in Maidstone, Kent (it is actually a one man band but good service, quality and price, albeit I negotiated a cash deal this time)

Graham Beal
Seaclear Marine Windows
Mobile: 07761 882626
Office: 01622 205837

www.seaclear.co.uk

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
« Reply #16 on: July 25 2020, 11:07 »
Steve,
Many thanks for info.
Mike

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
« Reply #17 on: July 26 2020, 17:15 »
Ours are Gebo (1998 B38Ocean).  They have crazed so evenly that they are now privacy glass.  The photo of the hatch and portlight above the aft stateroom don't do justice to the amount of crazing.  Special thanks to the thread that covers the topic.

alanrwill

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 38 Ocean
« Reply #18 on: January 08 2021, 13:26 »
I have 98 Bavaria ocean 38 and found some leakage of windows. Photograph on thread shows a different type, they appear to have a screw thread mine have two levers one each side. I had also found after cleaning and use of vaseline, as also suggested above, there was improvement. I went further however, dismantled and used a piece of fine emery paper to reduce the depth of the lever mounting area by a very small amount, thus increasing the tension slightly. This seemed to work very well. I would send some photos but my boat is in Spain at the moment and I… well you can guess.

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
« Reply #19 on: January 10 2021, 15:19 »
Hi
Had similar problem with leaks on windows on my Bavaria Ocean. As others did I  clean each year and lubricate the rubber gaskets.  I’ use a small bottle of stuff that is used on the seals of a dry suit....not sure if any better than Vaseline but seems to work well.
John

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #20 on: January 10 2021, 16:40 »
Use silicone grease. Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is petroleum based and may attack some types of rubber seals, turning them into sticky goo.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: January 12 2021, 04:58 »
Use silicone grease. Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is petroleum based and may attack some types of rubber seals, turning them into sticky goo.

After ten years of ownership on a boat that was eighteen years old and with the portlight seals being smeared with vaseline most years, I can advise that the rubber seals on my B36(2002) were still very much a “No Goo” area !!

1simon

• First Mate
« Reply #22 on: January 12 2021, 23:26 »
I can happily report that 5months after smearing the rubber seal with Petroleum jelly the portlights are not leaking anymore.
Thanks to  all for the suggestion.