Author Topic: Rudder bearing specs?  (Read 4295 times)

Arvid

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2001
Rudder bearing specs?
« on: March 20 2013, 17:47 »
Hi,
With all the talk about rudder bearings and the fact that Bavaria says it takes them 4 weeks :o to make new ones, once ordered. I'd like to get a spare set onboard for future use.

Does anyone know what the specs are for upper and lower bearing for a 47ft Bavaria from 2001?

//Arvid

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Rudder bearing specs?
« Reply #1 on: May 13 2013, 15:57 »
Give Clippermarine your hull number and they will provide the right bearings.  I ordered upper and lower in dec 2011 to replace in jan 2012.  In end only replaced the upper one. This takes the weight and wears faster so once you replace it you have enough adjustment in he screw to make the lower fit correctly removing any movement.

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: May 14 2013, 06:16 »
One change...

http://www.jefa.com

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 14 2013, 11:23 »
RICD,
           Can you explain the procedure for just changing the top Bearing? I am familiar with adjusting the locking screw and large bearing nut.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: May 16 2013, 16:18 »
Have to be honest and say it was done for me by a friend when I noticed too much side to side play on the rudder when the boat was out of water. When he dropped the rudder he said the bottom bearing was absolutely fine but the top one had worn to such an extent that there was no adjustment left. So he changed only the top one which then allowed the adjustment to take up the play and there is still opportunity for further adjustment as and when required.  That was the season before last and all was fine at last out.  I therefore have a spare bottom bearing for a future date.