Author Topic: Sagging Rigging Bav 30  (Read 6035 times)

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Sagging Rigging Bav 30
« on: June 08 2013, 18:15 »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrishawkes/8988669806/
Bavaria 30 rigging help, please! We had the mast stepped last week on our new-to-us 2006 Bav 30 - but the intermediate shrouds (I think that's what they're called!) seem quite saggy. I've tried adjusting the bottle screws to the cap shrouds but to no avail - I can't see any other adjustments.

I've put a link to a rather poor picture of the rigging. The black arrows are not God's judgement on my incompetence, simply an indication of the problem!

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Sagging Rigging Bav 30
« Reply #1 on: June 09 2013, 14:19 »
I'd get a rigger to look at it. Where are you based?
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: June 10 2013, 06:54 »
Did it mention it on the survey

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 10 2013, 07:33 »
That's not right at all.  As Nigel says, get a rigger to look at it.

I think those intermediates are crimped to the caps at the spreaders, so this shouldn't be able to happen (unless the spreaders have got bent).

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: June 12 2013, 18:46 »
Oh dear. Thank you. guys - survey did not mention this, but I did have two starboard shrouds replaced by riggers at Largs. I wonder if they've cocked up?

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: June 16 2013, 12:32 »
Thanks again, guys - the rigger at Largs looked at it and sorted the problem by retensioning the shrouds. She looks much happier now!

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: June 16 2013, 22:53 »
I assume you're talking about the little shrouds that run from the ens of the spreaders up to a point on the mast about halfway to the cap shrouds attachment. Funny, I've never really given them any consideration at all. I've no idea how you change tension in them if it's not right.

When my boat was about 5 years old, I thought it was really time to check the rig set-up because I don't think it had ever been touched. I don't have a Loos gauge so I did it by  the "2 metre stick" method which turned out to be very precise but a bit more fiddly than a gauge. In particular, I had to slacken the caps right off which was a bit of a pain. The end result was that I finished up with half a turn more on the cap shrouds than I had before. I was impressed by the almost total lack of relaxation in the rig or hull in five years. Bavaria make sturdy boats!

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #7 on: June 18 2013, 11:30 »
b30 on mooring at our club has bottle screws above spreader to adjust tension independant of cap shrouds .,

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: June 22 2013, 07:59 »
Trapeze Artist: yes. Thanks for the "2 metre stick" hint - just Googled it and shall use it next time the mast is restepped. Singlefish: that's interesting. I looked for bottlescrews when I noticed the sag, but there were none. I wonder if your owner had the shrouds custom made?

Anyway, all seems to be well now. I obviously need to pay more attention to tensioning stays than I used to with my Seamaster Sailer 19!