Author Topic: After Market Autopilot For 32 Cruiser Avantgarde  (Read 6735 times)

legin

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
After Market Autopilot For 32 Cruiser Avantgarde
« on: March 21 2014, 21:04 »
Hello everyone, just purchasing a 2011 32 Cruiser Avantgarde and I need to fit a autopilot, would anyone know if the Lewmar Integra Autopilot Drive L89300136 for Bavaria will fit without having to cut into the wheel pedestal.

Or any recommendations on a good systems please.

Thanks

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: After Market Autopilot For 32 Cruiser Avantgarde
« Reply #1 on: March 22 2014, 00:24 »
Well, it is advertised by Lewmar as specifically for Bavaria Cruisers, but not the 32. Does not mean it won't fit, but best if you call Lewmar as their technical department is very helpful. You will also need to talk to Raymarine to get the correct control head and course computer to drive it. The set up is more expensive to buy than an all Raymarine pilot with a ram on the quadrant, but the Lewmar motor is easier to fit so installation cost may make them similar. The alternative is a Raymarine wheel drive which is under £1k and easily installed, compared with the £2500 that a below decks system costs, but inevitably is not as good. The electronics are similar but the drive is not so powerful, robust or as convenient to use.

As ever you get what you pay for.

legin

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: March 23 2014, 19:01 »
I've had a quote back for the two systems, the Lewmar drive with a Raymarine Evolution system or a Garmin GHP12 (with rudder feedback) fitted for £3500 or the Wheel Pilot system for £1500 ish depending of fitting.

So not cheep, just need to decide which one to go for. Also worried that the Wheel Pilot might not be up to the job  :-\

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 24 2014, 10:01 »
Had a wheel pilot on my Bavaria30, worked very well and held on provided you reefed and trimmed sails correctly when sailing, do not set it too fine re course corrections. Not sure about elec amps per hr, didn't ever check actual use.

Now have had a ram drive system for over a year on my Bav37, also faultless, but easier to use.

Depends a lot on type sailing your doing, offshore then spend the extra, coastal, save the money and spend it on visiting the expensive south coast marinas!!

Ray

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 24 2014, 13:08 »
Sounds right pricewise. The wheel pilot can be a DIY job which will save around £500. An easy day's work which is mostly running wires and connecting up. The instructions are very clear and straightforward. They are not so convenient to use, but more than powerful enough for your boat. In the past there have been problems with fragile gears, but it seems to be pot luck as many people have run them for years without problems

legin

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: March 24 2014, 14:12 »
Still in two minds as I will be doing a lot of short or single handed sailing, furtherest I will probably go if cross channel so is it worth the additional cost of the below deck system?

I see a lot of wheel systems around on other boats so that must mean they work, I don't want to waste money either as we all know how much sailing cost but I want to be safe so I think the below beck system would be best if somewhat expensive.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: March 28 2014, 19:48 »
I fitted a wheel drive on my 2002 Bav 36, and for two years since fitting it has worked well. It was tricky fitting it as the engagement lever crosses over one of the engine instruments such that I had to grind away part of the back side of the lever. Also figuring out where to put the various components took a lot of head scratching, but I finished up with the auto pilot compass being located forward of the chart table, while the course computer was fitted inside the wardrobe in the aft starboard cabin. On a three day voyage the system worked well, and since then and as I do most of my sailing on my own, it has performed faultlessly except for one occasion when I left some radio speakers too close to the auto pilot compass. Because of the magnets in the speakers, the poor compass didn't stand a chance, but fortunately I realised and as the speakers had not been fitted I moved them quickly out of the way. It's not had any bad weather to deal with so far, so it remains to be seen how it would stand up to some real work.

legin

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: March 28 2014, 21:02 »
I have decide to go for the Raymarine Evolution Wheel Pilot, I need a new plotter at the same time so I will be swapping over to Raymarine for that as well but a basic A65 model. Should be fitted in about 3 weeks so I will repot back good or bad! ???