Author Topic: Through hull and seacock  (Read 1878 times)

Cristal

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Through hull and seacock
« on: December 18 2020, 12:27 »
I think that’s time to replace the through hulls and seacocks on my Bavaria 38 built 2004, commissioned 2005.
Have any 38 owners replaced theirs?
I would be grateful for all and any advice regarding this project.
Should I replace with bronze, like for like it, should be fairly simple. To replace with Tru-Design, I have some concerns regarding space and room. As other Bavaria owners will know, space for fitting is very limited. To add to my dilemma the boat is currently in Spain and therefore not readily available for try fitting or returning materials.
Your advice would be appreciated.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Through hull and seacock
« Reply #1 on: December 18 2020, 19:07 »
The originals will have been brass rather than "bronze", but despite the scare stories you hear they will (have?) lasted well. Bronze is rarely used now as it is very expensive and DZR brass is equally long lived. Simplest replacement is DZR from ASAP Supplies. Replace the through hulls and tails also with DZR. Don't bother with trying to take the assemblies apart, just remove hoses inside then grinding off the outside flange of the through hull and pull the assembly inwards. Worth replacing the hoses, particularly the loo outlet with butyl sanitary hose - you may have to cut the old one off the tail anyway.

Cristal

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: December 18 2020, 19:47 »
Thanks Symphony2. I will probably gather the bits and pieces together and hopefully get back to the boat next year maybe in the Spring.

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: December 19 2020, 10:08 »
I’m with Symphony on this: use DZR.  To remove the old through hulls, I use a Dremel with a cutting disc rather than an angle grinder.  It takes a bit longer but is much more controllable and reduces the chances of damaging the hull or surrounding gel coat. Use a disc like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254491366587 rather than the unreinforced resin ones, which tend to splinter if you get the angle wrong.
Most of the process is a one man job but you’ll need someone to hold the hull fitting when you tighten it to stop it rotating.

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #4 on: December 19 2020, 12:28 »
Sailing Britaly has a good video on this project here   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bV1rqqvw-k&t=3213s

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: December 19 2020, 22:11 »
I replaced all mine with bronze skin fittings, vavles and tails on the basis it is almost 'fit and forget' and the additional cost is relatively small compared to most items on a boat.

Cristal

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: December 22 2020, 10:27 »
Thanks guys, I think that I will go with DZR. Good tip re the Dremmel Rampage. Looking forward to the project in a masochistic sot of way.
Thanks again for all advice.