Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

New Bavaria 33C

(1/1)

GeorgeH:
My wife and I wanted to replace our Bavaria 30 and commented in this forum last year that we didn't like the B32.
We have, in April, taken delivery of the new B33C and are delighted with this boat. It answers most of the issues raised against its predecessor. The interior is light, airy and practical. The heads, larger forecabin and headroom are particularly noteworthy. The performance with the standard keel and in-mast furling more than meets our needs.
The support from Clipper Marine has been excellent and we have been able to tailor the boat to our specification with no difficulty.
The negatives have been 2 engine leaks which necessitated a lift out at Volvo's expense, marks to the interior caused by careless commissioning workers, and a limited range of impractical interior fabrics. 
On balance we consider the total package superior to other boats we looked at in this size and price range.

Ripster:
When we chose our new 36C (2012) we too thought that the VFM on offer was superior to the other mass produced AWBs.  We looked at Dufour, Hanse, Bene, Jean etc. and the Bav price, package and design came out on top each time.  Ours is the 2 cabin version.  I agree the upholstery leaves something to be desired, but that is easy to get redone or changed in future. In fact SWMBO is already planning the new colour scheme when it wears out (or she gets bored with it) - which is not going to be that long by all accounts!  We have put custom made carpet mats in the saloon and cabins - just poppered in to allow easy removal if the hairy arsed racing mob are on board.  I think the new 33 has an nicer "DS" sleek cabin window style compared to mine and the I note the main sheet is attached to and runs from the upright arch at the back of cockpit table.  This is a nice touch as I assume it means you can get to all sail trims from behind the wheel.  Our main sheets are on a clutch on the sole under the spray hood.  As we have an AP if needed, its not an issue, but single handed I can imagine it'll be nice to do everything from one point. 

How does the new one sail compared with your last one.  I am still surprised every time how close to the wind mine will go and still fly along.

GeorgeH:
Early days but the performance into wind appears about 3deg closer than our shoal draft B30 with slab mainsail. The speed is noticeably quicker which we put down to the longer waterline length and change in hull design. Like you, senior management has approached Tech Sew to recover the fore and aft cabin mattresses.

ANTREVELL:
New to this forum.  I am in negotiation with Clipper to buy a new 33 shallow draftversion. On the East cost and used to Bilge keel. So big step for me. Also interested in a Sadler starlight 35. Has anybody had any experience to compare how she sails etc. I own a Konsort at the present time.   Has anybody fitted a feathering prop?

Regards Tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version