Author Topic: Damage to interior wood Bavaria ocean 38  (Read 2091 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Damage to interior wood Bavaria ocean 38
« on: September 07 2020, 22:20 »
During the lock down restrictions I couldn’t get down to check boat as I would have liked and water unfortunately leaked down into the boat via the hatch: which I’ve fixed. This resulted in some water damage to the wood veneer just behind the steps.  The veneer looks intact but there is whitening to the wood/veneer plus a few darker areas which I could live with. There are numerous ideas on internet-but which one to try?
My ideas are to very gently sand veneer and re-stain then varnish or lacquer?  Would this be a good idea, has anyone tackled this before or have other suggestions
Would like to know what the finish is on the wood inside too?
I’ve even contacted a few furniture restorers to see if perhaps they could fix it as not sure if a good match/fix is beyond me but had little luck/replies.  Have attached photo of area.
Any help/suggestions appreciated
Thanks
John

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Damage to interior wood Bavaria ocean 38
« Reply #1 on: September 07 2020, 22:39 »
Suggest you use a chemical stripper to remove the remains of the old finish and then some dilute bleach to remove the staining. You may not be able to get the veneer back to its original colour, but strip past the stained bit so that you can see what the original colour is. It will almost certainly be darker than the damaged section, so that will need staining to blend in. I use Colron woodstains and sometimes have to experiment with mixes of colour to get a good match. I have found the best final finish is Ronseal Interior Satin which ends up very close to the original Bavaria finish.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 08 2020, 07:26 »
As Symophony says, use a paint stripper to get the varnish off, then try oxalic acid to see if that gets rid of the staining.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: September 08 2020, 08:25 »
I agree with the above, but I have had very good results with Lidl spray on varnish , it is not always available but the match to Bav interior finish is excellent . Geoff

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: September 09 2020, 12:02 »
Thanks for info, appreciated! Will have a good and hopefully get a reasonable match
John

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #5 on: September 14 2020, 04:36 »
Please come back with photos of your techniqes and results.  Good luck.