Author Topic: Help in Wiring VSR?  (Read 1361 times)

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Help in Wiring VSR?
« on: September 10 2020, 13:43 »
Hi,

I’ve finally got around to replacing our original Multi Battery Isolator ( Splitting Diode) with a Victron Cyril-ct VSR.
The existing Starter Battery Cable is 25mm2 and connected to an 8mm stud on the MBI.
The new VSR has a 6mm spade terminal which looks woefully inadequate even supposing I can change the existing lug to a spade.
How have others got over this problem.

As a supplementary the VSR has 6mm studs for the Alternator and Domestic Batt conns. I assume I’ll be ok connecting the Existing 8mm lugs using 6mm washers?

Photos below show what I have.

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Help in Wiring VSR?
« Reply #1 on: September 10 2020, 15:42 »
The VSR isn’t a straight replacement for the diode pack you picture.  Follow this link to the wiring diagram you need to set the VSR up properly https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Cyrix-ct-120A-230A-EN.pdf.

Essentially, you’re going to link the alternator to the starter battery.  Then you’ll need a separate link from the Starter battery to the VSR (going to one of the threaded terminals), a second link from the second threaded terminal VSR to the domestic bank, a lighter wire with a spade terminal marked 86 to the negative post of the starter battery and a wire with a switch in it from the 85 terminal to the positive terminal of the domestic battery (that’s for the emergency joining setup, so you can combine bother batteries for engine starting if needed).

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Help in Wiring VSR?
« Reply #2 on: September 12 2020, 14:03 »
Thanks Rampage.
I’d naively thought it was a direct replacement- looks like I’ll need a bit of prep before I make the change.