Author Topic: Changing the gas pipe and regulator  (Read 1983 times)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Changing the gas pipe and regulator
« on: August 24 2020, 10:52 »
Mirages gas pipe is alarmingly from 1991 - it showed no cracking, however, I figured it was high time to replace the little sucker. A five minute job... or so you would think.

On removing the old gas pipe, the bulkhead fitting appears to be angled too high up so I can't get the new flipping hose on. I've done some gas work before (Ah,great days: http://www.albinballad.co.uk/how-tos/fit-out-your-gas/), however, I've never used bulkhead fittings. Is it a simple case of undoing this nut, realigning, and redoing the sucker back up again?

Diga

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 45 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
Re: Changing the gas pipe and regulator
« Reply #1 on: August 24 2020, 12:00 »
Start by undoing the nut at the right (the one on the pipe). The pipe then becomes "flexible" and you can easily remove the remaining part of the fittings by undoing the nut you've pointed at.

/Bo

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 24 2020, 22:31 »
Are you replacing the flexible pipe to the cooker as well? On my old boat that fitting was so corroded it had to be cut off - the fittings are steel and are not the same as UK fittings. I could not get a Gas Safety Certificate without replacing the whole pipe run back to the bottle. I removed all the trim to access the pipe (the time consuming bit) and the fitter did all the new pipework and connected the new cooker.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: August 26 2020, 09:10 »
While on this subject. Can anybody recommend the best way to change my gas bottle size from a 2.75kg  to 4.5kg.  The boat was designed for a 2.75 bottle.  On my B42  2000 its sits on a premade locker aft, that is 340mm high (same size as a 4.5kg bottle ) but not wide enough to take a 4.5kg bottle.   It narrows in the middle.  The front of the locker is okay to take the bigger bottle.  Anybody overcome this.   A 2.75kg bottle is twice the price of a 4.5kg bottle for nearly half the gas. 

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: August 26 2020, 09:20 »
Hi I did this job on my 40 cc about 17years ago. The old bottle holder is screwed into the aft locker internal surface and easily removed. I then increased the diameter of the resulting hole to suit the new bottle holder which I had cast using a modified plastic bucket as a mould. The new looks exactly like the old even down to the safety notice which I transfered. Geoff

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: August 28 2020, 11:03 »
Thanks jeff any Pics

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: August 28 2020, 14:54 »
I will give it a go when next on the boat , but to be honest it does not look any different to the way it was. Geoff