Author Topic: Fresh water level indicator  (Read 5698 times)

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Fresh water level indicator
« on: May 13 2018, 06:04 »
Bavaria 39C. 2005.

My combined water level/battery volt gauge is showing full for both tanks but they are not full. As this is identical reading for both tanks I think the fault is with the panel not the tank units. I checked to see if there is a loose wire but everything looks in place and no signs of PCB corrosion.
Can anyone help please?

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Fresh water level indicator
« Reply #1 on: May 13 2018, 09:22 »
Hi PEA-JAY

Which panel do you have?
ATB

Mark

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: May 13 2018, 14:42 »
I don’t  know. I’ll go down to the boat tonight and take some pictures.

Earlier while trying to reply using my phone, I might have accidentally pressed “report to moderator” 🤭 !!! Please forgive my large fingers!

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: May 13 2018, 23:08 »
Hi Mark,

The panel is a 201 model.

BR

Raph.

Dino

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: May 14 2018, 07:55 »
Hi, Pea-Jay

The fresh water measurement system measure the electrical conductivity of several metallic rods of different lenghts inserted in the water tank from the top.
Each tank has a single measurement assembly connected to the panel with a flat electrical cable of 5 wires.
You can locate the panel connection (rear view), the two squared connector located at the lower right corner of the green panel.

Possible checks:
- disconnect (pull) one by one the squared connector, the indicator should display empty tank.
- swap the two connector, to check any difference in reading
- if disconnecting the plug, the display goes to zero, then you need to check the wiring and the sensor head (where the rods are)
- locate the rods head, inspect for moisture, clean outside. Eventually disconnect wires (take note of color-connection) remove from the tank and clean and remove hany moisture.

This measurement system is affected by humidity and moisture, but it is really simple.

P.S. when disconnecting the squared connectors, take note of the position since there might be some difference in calibration.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: May 14 2018, 12:53 »
Different panel and I have a digital read out. The read out is not linear. it reads 100% right up until it reads 75%, then 50% and the 25% until empty. When you say the tanks are not full how empty are they? If similar to mine then the could only be a quarter empty yet still read full.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #6 on: May 15 2018, 13:33 »
My B40 (2001) had intermittently similar problem in rear tank readings - showing full regardless of actual status.

The problem was easy to find - the conducting rods inside the tank were warped and touched each others.
And easier to correct - just bent them enough to separate the rods. Furthermore I bent the longest probe a bit more up, so that the level does not represent 1/4 height but more 1/4 volume of the sloping tank.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: May 15 2018, 22:34 »
I think it’s unlikely both tank units failed at the same time. I do not know how much water each contains however they are certainly not completely full as per indicator reading. I’m suspecting that the gauge has failed rather than the sender units.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: May 16 2018, 07:41 »
Can you disconnect the wire at the sender units? if so, check the gauge reading again once you have done this. If no change, remove one of the wires from the sender unit closer to the gauge. This will help isolate the problem and help towards solving the issue. The problem is either the sender unit; the wire between the sender unit and gauge; or the gauge.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #9 on: May 18 2018, 15:04 »
Thank you all for your suggestions.
The next step is to pull out my multi-meter to try and solve this problem.
I will report back, hopefully with a solution.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: June 25 2018, 22:16 »
I’m just found out the water level gauge is working properly!

I didn’t really do much except pull out the contacts and put them back in place again a month ago.
Perhaps it was some corrosion on the contacts or plain Bavaria magic! 😐

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #11 on: June 26 2018, 08:06 »
.....Bavaria (Black) magic  >:D

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #12 on: June 26 2018, 09:19 »
Corroded contacts was all that was wrong on mine too, although it was under-reading rather than over. Apply some silicone grease to the contacts to keep moisture away and they'll stay connected.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

j.peltola31

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: August 14 2020, 14:26 »
I have opposite problem on my Bav 37, same panel. After hard waves and rumble my voltage/water gauge stopped working, needle wont move at all. Light comes to gauge, but nothing else. Any idea where to start fixing this or can i order new gauge somewhere? Not really using voltage meter cos i have better one installed, but would be nice to know water level.