Author Topic: Phone Nav apps  (Read 1753 times)

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Phone Nav apps
« on: May 14 2020, 09:58 »
Good day guys,   I have been looking at the phone apps for extra navigation.  Am I correct in that once installed on a smart phone you do not need a phone signal for them to operate?  If so any recomendations .  I have been looking at NAVIONICS + .  Excuse my ignorance, oh and this is UK costal only.   I do have a small 5" Garmin,  Marine navigator ( from Visit my Harbour)  and an old Furuno Radar with very basic GPS charts on it, so this would not be my only nav device. 

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Phone Nav apps
« Reply #1 on: May 14 2020, 10:19 »
All marine apps can operate offline. You need internet access only for installing the app and the charts. Have navionics and opencpn installed on my samsung tablet (10". Android), price depends on chart coverage area you need. You need a smart phone with built in gps (i think every brand has one). Check compatibility-list for phone hardware before purchasing at the app-store. 

Julian M

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: May 14 2020, 10:38 »
What phone do you have?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: May 14 2020, 16:46 »
I have OpenCPN installed on a three year old basic Samsung phone and can recommend both the app and charts and the Samsung phone, and the system continues to work even well when well away from land.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 14 2020, 20:13 »
I use Navionics on an iPad.  Works well. Simply choose your chart area to download and after that works offline very well. I use it as a backup down below but I have a friend who bought an "Otterbox" waterproof case and mount for his iPad and uses it at the helm as a "repeater" for his GPS which is mounted at the chart table.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: May 14 2020, 20:59 »
Good to see people using Open CPN, however I have a question in need of a step by step answer please.

I have Open CPN on a Samsung 10" tablet and I have charts for the Biscay loaded, I did this 3 years ago  after buying Dave's Android cpn software I played around with it most of the winter and in the end had the Biscay charts loaded,  how I did it I have not the foggiest,  who can put some instructions together on chart loading.

Odysseus
Bav38
Odysseus

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: May 15 2020, 09:17 »
Good to see people using Open CPN, however I have a question in need of a step by step answer please.

I have Open CPN on a Samsung 10" tablet and I have charts for the Biscay loaded, I did this 3 years ago  after buying Dave's Android cpn software I played around with it most of the winter and in the end had the Biscay charts loaded,  how I did it I have not the foggiest,  who can put some instructions together on chart loading.

Odysseus
Bav38
Depends on the type of chart you have installed. I assume, you have the "oeSENC" charts from the o-charts-shop installed.
This needs installing the oesenc plugin for opencpn first (available free on google play)
Then go to https://o-charts.org/shop/en/ to purchase the appropriate charts and license it. You get a download link (if you have already purchased a chart, you should have got this link, hope you have saved it!)
Follow the instructions on https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpn:opencpn_user_manual:plugins:charts:oesenc for the android section
Good luck

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: May 15 2020, 17:21 »
Thanks for your reply, I am aware of these, but my charts loaded were free charts and they work well but I can not remember how I loaded them.
See photo.

Any ideas.

Odysseus.
Bav 38
Odysseus