Author Topic: Sea water in 130S-A sail drive  (Read 2064 times)

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Sea water in 130S-A sail drive
« on: May 04 2020, 00:17 »
I recently checked my gearbox oil level and found a white emulsified oil. Owing to Corvid problem no one is working normally locally at the moment so as a temporary measure I have drained and refilled the oil a good four times , running the engine in forward for about 10 minutes each time and by the end of this exercise I presently have a fairly clear oil in the gearbox. I was quite surprised I couldn’t somehow feed a narrow suction pipe right down to the lower unit, consequently I was only managing to extract two thirds of the contaminated oil every change.

I’m not sure if the sea water found it’s way in the drive either by way of the shaft seals or some how inside the sail drive itself! Nine months ago I removed the sail drive etc to replace the rubber diaphragm and as far as I can remember everything was done as per VP instructions and it looked like a straightforward job presenting only minor difficulties more related to actual physical handling of the drive than any difficulty in dismantling and reassembling. All parts supplied in the diaphragm kit were replaced as well as the lower end oil seals and o-rings (all parts OE VP). Best case scenario will be that when I manage to haul out and strip down the lower end I’m going to find some fishing line tangled on the shaft and damaged seals otherwise I’m not going to be sure the problem isn’t from some where else.

Has anyone had a similar situation and didn’t manage to solve it by just replacing the lower end seals?
I will much appreciate help in this matter.
Regards.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Sea water in 130S-A sail drive
« Reply #1 on: May 04 2020, 00:56 »
Only way seawater can get in is through the lower seals, and as you suspect the most common cause is line getting drawn in by the shaft. Usually a new set of seals solves the problem, although there is a possibility that the shaft may be scored. The common solution to that is sleeving the shaft. Google Speedi Sleeve for Volvo saildrives

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: May 04 2020, 14:53 »
On the 130 models, you should be able to poke a small hose all the way down the leg to get the oil out, past the diaphragm level. It may take some hunting around. On the 120 models that's not possible, as you'd have to guide the hose through two 90 degree bends, which is very unlikely to succeed.

It's possible for the gasket between upper and lower leg allowing a leak between the seawater and the oil channels inside the leg, but that's fairly unlikely if you've followed the instructions to the letter and didn't damage the gasket during assembly. Much more likely you'll indeed find a problem with the shaft seals, either damage from fishing line, strands of rope or wear on shaft or seals.

It's also possible the leg has corrosion that opens it to the sea, but that shouldn't happen if there's still any anode left. In that case, the oil would be bubbling out of the open filler cap, pushed by the water pressure, so that's likely not the case here either.

Unfortunately only a haulout will tell you what's really going on.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: May 06 2020, 12:05 »
If it help we had the same problem mid season last year after a large piece of plastic found its way round the prop.

We changed and flushed the oil getting as much out as we could and kept a close eye on it for the rest of the season and noticed no more contamination during the winter we pulled the boat out fully drained the oil and had the seals replaced. I was told the seals should be replaced every few years anyway?

Hope this helps

Shine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 42
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #4 on: May 06 2020, 23:11 »
My two-cents:

It is most likely the shaft seals. I've heard that excessive reversing can cause more rapid deterioration and leaks in these seals but I haven't had that widely corroborated.

After you replace the seals, pump in new oil from the drain plug on the leg to ensure there are no air pockets in the system.

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: May 10 2020, 09:13 »
A while back my 120S seals failed. I was not able to repair immediately after dry storage so I did 3 "oil" changes with diesel fuel and left it full. All good when later I replaced the seals.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: May 10 2020, 09:39 »
Hi Pat Price thank you for your contribution. How much time passed from when you noticed the problem till when you actually remedied it? I have made several oil changes but I only managed to extract 2/3 at a time using a Gunson suction type oil changer. Someone has now told me it’s possible to extract the full amount of oil directly from the extraction pipe on the side of the gearbox which would be much better.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 10 2020, 12:11 »
That is right. That is what the extraction tube is for, so that you can get all the oil out.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: May 11 2020, 12:16 »
Thank you Symphony, it seems logical now! As I’ve been using a ”Gunson” spherical oil extractor with a small diameter tube down the dipstick hole I’m therefore conditioned towards this method. I doubt my trusty old extractor will manage enough suction to draw the oil all the way up from the sail drive lower end. Perhaps a gear type electric pump will do the trick. Can anyone recommend a suitable oil extraction pump I could buy?
Regards

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #9 on: May 11 2020, 13:02 »
The ~15 EUR oil extraction pump (12V) from Lidl has been serving us well for a few years now.

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)