Author Topic: Vertically challenged Helmsmens step  (Read 1415 times)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Vertically challenged Helmsmens step
« on: June 04 2020, 09:22 »
My helmsmen is rather on the small side, being just eight, so seeing over the sprayhood is somewhat of a challenge. The last owner had a flimsy looking step affair that as we started to lean left the aforementioned helmsmen gripping for dear life to the wheel as the step threatened to go skating off to leeward.

I wanted to fashion him something that I can wedge into that gap that he can stand on that will give him a good base of support.

Do we think something like the below would work? Anyone else faced this issue with pint sized crew?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Vertically challenged Helmsmens step
« Reply #1 on: June 04 2020, 09:37 »
Had that problem on another boat with some short (adult) crew that couldn't look over the sprayhood - the solution was pretty much like yours, except with slats instead of a solid floor so the water can run through. Make sure it clears the wheel!

Would add something soft (rubber, carpet, old cut up fender, etc.) all around to avoid it damaging the gelcoat and teak floor.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 04 2020, 14:55 »
Its on my to do list too. For locating firmly, I had considered having it extend back into the step- through part of the transom under the helmsmans seat in such a way that it could fold up and be stored there too. It would potentially be a bit narrow though, and might also foul the gas locker door. I didn't get as far as measuring or mocking up anything. Would you use teak or something else?

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: June 05 2020, 08:49 »
I have some Robbins Super Elite Plus left over from another project in the bat cave, so I'll probably use that and find a way to make it non slip and edge it in some hardwood. For the legs I have some mahogany from an old table in the garage that should do the job nicely. I might try and incorporate a flush hinge in the middle of the platform so I can fold it up and stow it when the pint sized crew are not on the helm.

Good thinking on having some rubber under the feet to stop it damaging the cockpit!