Author Topic: How to clean fresh water strainer  (Read 2226 times)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
How to clean fresh water strainer
« on: November 18 2019, 14:06 »
I located the fresh water strainer.

In context here:

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: How to clean fresh water strainer
« Reply #1 on: November 18 2019, 14:33 »
You open it up by unscrewing it counterclockwise, where the black o-ring is. Clean it, check the o-ring, replace if necessary (generic part) and put some silicone grease on before reassembly.

This is not a water filter, just a strainer to protect the pump from debris in the tank. If you want filtering of drinking water, fit an activated charcoal filter under the sink with a separate tap. I think there's a thread or two somewhere around here on that subject, if not, look up Britaly on Youtube, they've done a video on it.

Treatment tabs are usually chlorine, they kill bacteria but do not improve taste, and if you overdose them you get a icky chlorine taste too.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: November 18 2019, 15:55 »
Thanks for that, why put it on a separate tap? Could you not just put the filter before the mixer tap? Or would the hot water kill the filter?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 18 2019, 17:19 »
As Yngmar has said, the device near your pump is simply a coarse strainer.  To open it up for cleaning, you first have to remove it, which will probably involve removing the 2-way valve below it first.

I use the Aqua Clean tablets you mentioned, primarily to discourage any algal growth in the tank.  Yes, the water has a residual taste, but I find that after boiling the water it's not too bad.  For drinking cold water, I use bottled mineral water from the fridge.

If you want to fit a charcoal filter, just plumb it in to the cold pipe before the mixer tap.  Hot water won't go through it.  I think Yngmar suggested a separate tap in order to minimise the amount of use the charcoal filter gets, as they steadily deteriorate with use.