Author Topic: ST60 Wind; Deviation  (Read 2927 times)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
ST60 Wind; Deviation
« on: September 15 2019, 09:32 »
On my ST60 Wind instrument there is a deviation between the readings on the seatalk-bus and the pointer readings of about 70 degrees. Instrument is calibrated, pointer shows values as in nature, but values on seatalk bus seem at 70 degrees false over the full circle. All values are appearant readings.
Any suggestions?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: ST60 Wind; Deviation
« Reply #1 on: September 15 2019, 11:55 »
It may have lost its calibration. Try to re-calibrate and see if this works (see ST60 manual, Section 4)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 22 2019, 22:01 »
Tried a Factory reset and a full calibration, no change  :( .
Is it possible to take Instrument apart, and to set the Pointer on the right mechanical position?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: September 23 2019, 06:44 »
A lot of things may be possible, but probably not worthwhile doing unless you know what you are doing with electronics, or you just happen to get lucky.

Probably best to remove the instrument display and check it by coupling it in on a friends boat that has the same instrument set up. If it works fine there then it would point to the problem being with the mast head transducer. If it doesn’t work properly on your friends boat then it may just be a display problem.

One other thing would be to check that the ends of the wires where the mast cable enters the cabin, and also those on the wires they connect to, are all clean and that the method of connection there are also clean and making a good electrical connection.

If those checks do not reveal the problem, then maybe you should remove the mast head transducer and the display and send them to your nearest Raymarine/Flir sevice centre for them to check and repair.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 23 2019, 15:44 »
Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Found the service-manual for ST60 Pointer-instruments in the web.
There is a self test procedure to align the pointer instruments, so i will check this first and hope this will fix my problem.
So i hope there is no need to ask friends for testing with their instruments.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: September 23 2019, 21:09 »
I was told 3-4 years ago by my local RM dealer that ST60 instruments are no longer supported by them, only the ST60+ series. In Plymouth UK, there is a good one-man band bloke who will sort electronics out, so worth looking around where you are to see if there is likewise.
I do remember when rebuilding my windyometer that you can adjust it to point into wind irrespective of its current direction. Long time ago so can't remember how but it was definitely in the user guide...
ATB

Mark

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 24 2019, 10:16 »
I was told 3-4 years ago by my local RM dealer that ST60 instruments are no longer supported by them, only the ST60+ series. In Plymouth UK, there is a good one-man band bloke who will sort electronics out, so worth looking around where you are to see if there is likewise.
I do remember when rebuilding my windyometer that you can adjust it to point into wind irrespective of its current direction. Long time ago so can't remember how but it was definitely in the user guide...
yes, and not only the adjustment between instrument and real wind direction, but also the alignment between the values on seatalk and the pointer readings. This is subject of a self-test routine described in the service manual.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 05 2019, 09:34 »
There is a self test procedure to align the pointer instruments, so i will check this first and hope this will fix my problem.
Did the self test procedure, and fixed the problem as mentioned above

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #8 on: November 05 2019, 17:25 »
Did the self test procedure, and fixed the problem as mentioned above

I have a similar problem with my ST60 wind. Do you have a link to the service manual and the self test procedure.
Thanks in advance.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 06 2019, 07:50 »
see attached document.
Good luck

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #10 on: November 06 2019, 09:31 »
Thanks SYJetzt. Will use it next time I am in Spain.
Ger