Author Topic: unusual leak in aft stateroom  (Read 1616 times)

semaphore

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
unusual leak in aft stateroom
« on: September 11 2019, 01:03 »
with certain rains, i have a small drip at the highlighted screw hole. I tried to look inside the engine compartment to see where this might be [somewhere behind the cockpit drain/insulation] but for the life of me I can't tell how water is getting there. Could water be between the interior and cockpit fiberglass pieces? Could water migrate from the cockpit floor?

I'd love some ideas of how to chase this problem down.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: unusual leak in aft stateroom
« Reply #1 on: September 11 2019, 11:21 »
Looks like an Ocean model. We had leaks on both of those corners. One stopped when I rebedded the cockpit floor drains (sealant was crumbling) and the other when I found and filled the holes under the teak cockpit seating, see here for what I mean by that.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

semaphore

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: September 13 2019, 01:01 »
It is an Ocean 38. I was afraid of that. I have noticed two small holes in the teak right under the wheel. I suppose as leaks go this one is lower priority; the v-berth is leaking and the teak above it feels spongy and like the whole panel will come off.

The teak caulking across the boat is in three states: crumbling away, perfectly fine, or transferring to clothing / rubbing onto fiberglass.

While on the subject of cockpit drains, are yours slightly above the surface of the fiberglass so there's still a puddle after a rain?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: September 13 2019, 08:59 »
Sounds like the teak deck is due for scraping off and replacing with something sensible, same as ours.

On our 40 Ocean the cockpit drain scuppers are countersunk below the level of the gelcoat and form no puddles. Had to remove them and replace the sealant though, as they were leaking between scupper and gelcoat.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)