Author Topic: Holding tank red flashing light  (Read 7057 times)

pebbles

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Holding tank red flashing light
« on: June 18 2014, 23:27 »
The holding tanks on my Bav 46 Cruiser (2005) have sensor probes in the top (see photos) that feed back to the control panel. The idea being that when the tank is nearly full the T1 or T2 lights by the WC switch will flash (see photo).
My problem is that even when the tanks are empty the lights flash. Both tanks have the same problem.
I've removed the sensor cleaned and dried it. Works properly for a day or two then the light starts flashing again. I've also painted on a product called liquid tape where the probes exit the base to insulate the connection and stop any electrical tracking. Problem re-occurred.
Has anyone had this problem?
Does any one have any ideas on how to fix this?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Holding tank red flashing light
« Reply #1 on: June 19 2014, 07:34 »
Perhaps try replacing one of the sensors and see if a new one cures the problem.  They're about ?30 I think.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 19 2014, 07:42 »
Not sure if my 2006 B37 has the same sensors but I have had the same issues and done much as you have to clear it. I have left it disconnected at the tank end for some time now and, even left disconnected, I get the occasional flashing lights when I power up the panel  :-\

I have not done any electrical circuit testing to see where the short is coming from.

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
« Reply #3 on: June 19 2014, 21:21 »
Hi We gave up trying to clean the sensor a few times  :sick
 I then bought and installed the Scad 6 tank monitor. It works great keeping track of both holding tanks and signals when it's close to full.
Eventually I'm going to get the sensors for the water tanks.
Cheers

Stuart

mowa

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39 Cr
« Reply #4 on: March 27 2017, 12:12 »
The holding tanks on my Bav 46 Cruiser (2005) have sensor probes in the top (see photos) that feed back to the control panel. The idea being that when the tank is nearly full the T1 or T2 lights by the WC switch will flash (see photo).
My problem is that even when the tanks are empty the lights flash. Both tanks have the same problem.
I've removed the sensor cleaned and dried it. Works properly for a day or two then the light starts flashing again. I've also painted on a product called liquid tape where the probes exit the base to insulate the connection and stop any electrical tracking. Problem re-occurred.
Has anyone had this problem?
Does any one have any ideas on how to fix this?

I am having the same issue now (B39CR 2005). Someone knows where to find a replacement for the sensor?

Holger

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: March 27 2017, 14:30 »
On our 37 Cruiser (2006) we had the same issue. At the upper end (inside the base) the probes were a bit corroded and there was moisture inside the base. Apparently, the sealant had broken.

I pulled out the probes (if you do it be careful that you do not tear the insulation or cover it with a heat shrinkable tube), sanded the corroded parts on the probes, let the base and the probes dry out, put the probes back and sealed the areas where the probes are inserted into the base. The problem has not occurred again for three years. 

mowa

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39 Cr
« Reply #6 on: March 27 2017, 14:34 »
Many thanks, I will follow your procedure.

osso63

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: June 24 2019, 17:01 »
HI, i'm resuming this post because i still have this problem and i have already tried to change the sensor or disconnect it but the led still continuing to blink.
Is there someone who solved the problem ?

Thank you

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #8 on: June 25 2019, 09:04 »
HI, i'm resuming this post because i still have this problem and i have already tried to change the sensor or disconnect it but the led still continuing to blink.
Is there someone who solved the problem ?

Thank you

The normal circuit is made when the water level touches the probes.

I had the same problem on my CR37 2016 I removed the sensor cleaned the probes and replaced. 2 weeks later flashed again even though tank not used. Removed sensor and found condensation on the probes. I then slightly bent the probes further apart by about 3mm and tested they still worked in glass of water. Then replaced. Been good for a year now.

In your case I would first disconnect the sensor connector, then see if it still flashes. This will separate the problem from either the sensor or the wiring and take it from there.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: June 25 2019, 14:00 »
We have had this same problem since new 5 years ago. The sensor was replaced under warranty twice and still continued to activate the alarm light even when tanks were empty. We tried bending the sensors apart, washing them in solvent and even recoating the probes with heat-shrink. We have now come up with a two solutions after 5 years of wasting or efforts. Solution 1. Disconnect the sensor at the tank. Solution two. Tape over the alarm light.  ;D ;D ;D either works well! 

Sail safe. Ant & Cid
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Bobb

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 18 2019, 06:53 »
I just bypassed the system by disconnecting the sensor leads and taping an LED strip light to the side of the tank. Wired to a button switch, in-line fuse and then to the DC panel. I push the button and can see the exact level in the tank.

Bob
2009 Bav 34
S/V Sympatheia

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #11 on: July 18 2019, 10:41 »
I just bypassed the system by disconnecting the sensor leads and taping an LED strip light to the side of the tank. Wired to a button switch, in-line fuse and then to the DC panel. I push the button and can see the exact level in the tank.

Bob
2009 Bav 34
S/V Sympatheia

Nice one!