Author Topic: mast rigging  (Read 1941 times)

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
mast rigging
« on: June 01 2019, 10:30 »
I am thinking of selling my boat.  I am intending to remove the mast to service lights, radar,  wiring  ect.   While it is down I wanted to confirm that the shrouds/rigging are all okay.   The boat has never been raced or pushed but the rigging is, I believe 19 years old.   Has anybody used the metal crack detector penetrating dyes that are used for detecting cracks in cylinders/bearings ect on large engines and structures?   Is there any reason that these would not be an effective way of determining the condition of the rigging.  I have used these penetrating dies in my work many times before.   I do not trust so called surveyors after previous experiences.  I have climed the mast and filmed the rigging and bottle screws all look fine to the naked eye.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: mast rigging
« Reply #1 on: June 01 2019, 10:50 »
If you're selling it, why not leave it to your buyer to decide what to do?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: mast rigging
« Reply #2 on: June 01 2019, 17:42 »
Agree leave it to the buyer. Realistically no rigger will certify 19 year old wire and there is no fool proof way of testing. (Have just been through this process). Equally the buyer's surveyor will certainly make it a "must do" and no insurer taking on a new boat will insure purchase without insisting on replacement wire. Fittings such as sheaves, rigging screws, toggles, pins, attachment plates for T balls can be physically inspected and often re-used.

So your choice is to replace the wire and hope you can recover the cost from the buyer or clearly state that the wire is original and set your price reflecting that. Worst situation is to say nothing to the potential buyer as the first thing he will do is try and knock the price down after his survey.