Author Topic: What's this on the stern edge of my sugar scoop?  (Read 4074 times)

Bertie1972

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2007
What's this on the stern edge of my sugar scoop?
« on: April 28 2019, 23:38 »
I'm looking at making a 'Plan B' outboard mount (on my Bav 30) in case of engine failure on my twice yearly trip from Dartmouth up to Baltic Boatyard at Totnes.  Although I always go on a rising tide, I'm aware that a prolonged engine failure could leave me lying on my side in the higher reaches that become quite shallow at low tide.

Was looking today at this stainless bracket and realised I had no idea of its funtion - any suggestions?

Or any other tip for a plan B outborad support?(I'm usually single handed so a dinghy lashed along side would present a bit of a challenge)[img][img]

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: What's this on the stern edge of my sugar scoop?
« Reply #1 on: April 29 2019, 08:25 »
I believe it is to secure the bumper to the centre of the scoop. If in one piece the bumper would detach more easily.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 29 2019, 09:42 »
Yes, that is just a piece of stainless steel trim to cover the join. Underneath that is the joint between the transom moulding and the hull.

Why do you think your engine is likely to fail on such a short journey? A well maintained diesel is virtually 100% reliable and definitely more reliable than an outboard. Also you would require an outboard of at least 10hp to move your boat. That would require a hefty bracket bolted through the transom which would need to be reinforced to take the thrust. An effective way of moving an engineless yacht in such situations is to raft a dingy with an outboard alongside. Even with a small motor you can make 2-3 knots with good control using the yacht's rudder.

Better to spend the money on making sure your Volvo is in tip top condition.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: April 29 2019, 15:07 »
Its also a drain hole to allow water that collects to drain away from that area. the hole should be regularly cleared otherwise algae builds up.

Bertie1972

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: April 29 2019, 19:58 »
Hi Symphony

Thanks for replying, could you clarify re lines 5 & 8?  I've probably misread but they seem to cantradict?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 29 2019, 23:33 »
The problem with hanging an outboard on the back is that it is difficult to control. As I suggested you need a dedicated bracket and a biggish engine that has no other purpose on a 30' cruising boat. On the other hand using a dinghy alongside, usually aft of the mid point gives you good control as well as using what many people have on their yacht anyway.

This method has been written up many times in the yachting press (as well as being commonly used). In the scenario you pose it is really the only practical way of moving the boat. In fact if you look at how boatyards move boats around, you will see they use exactly this method, although admittedly using more powerful work boats.

Anyway, to me the key issue is why you think that your main engine is going to fail in a short run up the river. I can understand it if you were an old salt like me who once had a Stuart Turner where stopping running at inconvenient times was part of the experience, but in more than 20 years of having Yanmar and Volvo diesels running many thousands of hours I have not had one unscheduled stoppage. The previous 20 years with the ST did though give me several opportunities to perfect the dinghy alongside method for getting the boat back to its mooring!

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #6 on: April 30 2019, 12:02 »
Just on the topic of the stainless steel cover, I replaced the bumper last year on my boat 38.  The bumper is all in one piece, no join under the cover.  I think it’s there simply to provide reinforcement for the drain hole.  The bumper is secured entirely by the adhesive.

Bertie1972

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: April 30 2019, 23:26 »
Thanks all for replies, I've got a good picture.

Symphony, thanks for expanding, that makes sense now.  As you can probably tell from my post, I do tend to over think and anticipate things and have never had a modern diesel failure either.  (My boating experience doesn't go back to Stuart Turner engines, although I go back to Jap and Villiers with bikes - were/are Stuart Turner comparable with Villiers engines?)

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
« Reply #8 on: May 04 2019, 09:09 »
Hi Bertie,  I am also one that likes a plan B for engine failure.  I have a B42 with a scoop and boarding ladder that looks like yours.  A devised very simple idea that works for an outboard.  I used a piece of garden decking (28mm) about400mm long the made two smaller pieces to attach to it. The smaller pieces should be made and shaped into slots of the boarding ladder brackets, with the ladder folded.  Then a  couple of 100 mmm x 8mm bolt with wing nuts can be fitted through the wooded parts in the slotts behind the boarding ladder bracket.  Very simple but worked in a trial anyway.  Never had to use it yet! Only problem was my outboard is a 2.5hp short shaft Mercury so we all had to sit on the back end to keep the prop in the water.  It would get you into a marina safely.  The sails can get you to the marina. Otherwise a tender tied to the  yacht towards the stern allows good manoeuvrability

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 05 2019, 06:36 »
Guys,
I agree that using a dinghy/rib is a much better idea than fitting a bracket to the stern of a Bavaria.

I am surprised by the multiple opinions that the best way to manoeuvre a boat using a dinghy is to secure the dinghy to the side, as far aft as possible. I have seen Volunteer Marine Rescues using this approach. Tom Cunliffe even had an article in Yachting Monthly some years ago where he demonstrated this technique with some difficulty.

A much easier, safer and more manoeuvrable way would be to merely push the boat using the dinghy. If your dinghy is not inflatable, use a fender on the bow. That way, you can push the boat into any spot. 2 people can do this easily, one on the helm and one in the dinghy. If you tie the dinghy to the bathing platform or transom, it is easy to stop or reverse the boat.  Using this approach, a 3.3hp outboard can easily get my 38ft Bavaria up to over 2 knots without using full throttle in light winds. As the dinghy is pushing from behind and it is possible to angle the dinghy on the stern, the boat is actually more manoeuvrable than using the boats propulsion alone. The dinghy can also be used like a tug ( or bow thruster) if need be.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #10 on: May 24 2019, 22:31 »
I agree with you Craig that a 'pusher' is a more efficient way of doing it. However, Bertie did say that he's single-handed so it would be quite difficult to do (and the river up to Totnes is DEFINITELY one to avoid breakdowns!). You could set up the dinghy beforehand so a quick lasso alongside and pull-start, and you're away. Rather than an inflatable, I have a 7' rigid with painters fore and aft, just in case. And if it's any indicatior of reliability, my MD2030 failed unexpectedly with a holed H-E and no coolant, so it's best to at least have a plan.
ATB

Mark