Author Topic: Removing exhaust manifold to clean Volvo MD2030  (Read 2943 times)

WAArete

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Anyone have some insight as to best remove. I have all the bolts out and unable to budge it.
Thanks..
Began project by removing riser. Once I seen how full it was of clog, decided to proceed deeper.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Removing exhaust manifold to clean Volvo MD2030
« Reply #1 on: May 11 2019, 18:15 »
You may not need to remove the exhaust manifold.

If you undo the jubilee clips that hold the rubber elbows on to each end of the manifold, once removed you then have access to each end of the tube nest. The tube nest can be withdrawn, from the forward end if memory serves me correctly, but before you remove the tube nest, note very carefully which end of it is the forward end and which is the aft or stern end so that when you put it back after cleaning, that you get it right first time. Sometimes the tube nest can be a little reluctant to move, but be very gentle with it if you have to use a rubber or wooden mallet, (do not use a hammer unless you are entirely happy with the thought of paying out for a new one and waiting for it to arrive). Once the tube nest is out you can wash it through with water both through the tubes from one end to the other and probably more importantly around the outside and between each tube. Elsewhere within the postings on the forum some have suggested use of some fairly powerful chemicals, but I would not recommend such chemicals, better to be very gentle. Quite how the tubes are fitted into the faceplate at each end I wouldn’t swear to, but in larger installations such on ships engines, the ends of the tubes are expanded hydraulically, and it would not surprise me if the same method is used, so do be careful not to dislodge any of the tubes.

With the tube nest out you can clean the inside of the now empty manifold.

Take lots of photos before each stage of dismantling so that you know exactly how things go back together, and don’t forget to check the insides of the rubber elbows and renew them if there are any areas of obvious wear.

Don’t be surprised to find pieces of impeller vanes or barnacle shells within tube nest or in way of the elbow at the water inlet end, especially if you are not the first owner of the boat.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

WAArete

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: May 11 2019, 22:47 »
Thanks Salty,
I went to my local Volvo Penta part store and asked for insight. Your correct, I cleaned the exchangers last summer. This year I took out the exhaust riser. Upon inspection of the riser, I went with a SS replacement. The exit on the manifold had some build up. I took a dremel and grinded much of that debris.
 One last question. Is there a anode in the cooler? I looked at many of the schematics at Volvo MD2030, and wasn't able to locate such.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: May 12 2019, 07:29 »
 One last question. Is there a anode in the cooler? I looked at many of the schematics at Volvo MD2030, and wasn't able to locate such.

I can’t say for sure in regard to the MD2030 as I have the smaller MD2020 engine on my B36. My 2020 does not have an anode within the cooling water system, not in either the fresh water or sea water sides so far as I have seen, and I’ve looked at both the actual engine as well as the engine manual. The 2030 as I understand it, is basically a 2020 on steroids, so it’s likely there are no differences other than size and power output.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: May 12 2019, 09:27 »
Salty is right. There are no anodes in the small Volvo engines. Not needed because the HE is constructed without dissimilar metals unlike some engines that have aluminium housings and copper tube stacks and therefore the potential for galvanic action.

WAArete

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: May 27 2019, 03:46 »
Thanks Salty and Symphony for your assistance.