Author Topic: D2-55 oil light alarm on after engine turned off/. Cause? Repair??  (Read 2338 times)

Cnilejr

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
The oil light/alarm is on my 2004 Bavarian 38 with a D2 55 Volvo engine. It is not on while the engine is running. only when I shut down the engine. Can anyone please tell me what the problem might be? How to fix it? This has never happened before. Oil level is fine. Oil recently replaced and new filter. Thank you in advance for your help.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
is the tacho RPM reading zero ?

Cnilejr

• Swab
Yes. The engine is off. A  few seconds after the engine is not running, the alarm and light goes off. Any ideas?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
That’s normal, my engine control panel does it every time the engine is stopped. Alarms indicate and sound and a few seconds later all is quiet.

Cnilejr

• Swab
Mine used to do that. But now the alarm continues to sound. Not just a few seconds like before. Thats what I am worried about. Should I?

tckearney

• Able Seaman
I don’t have a circuit diagram to hand but if you think about this logically.
 When the engine is not running and the key turned on, the safety circuits are activated.  There is no lub oil pressure as the engine is not running.   The engine lub oil light will be straight from a pressure sensor on the back end of the mechanical oil pump, therefore  would be on.    The alarm sound, which is probably common for overheating , (but not sure about that) is disabled during engine run up to avoid the alarm sounding until oil pressure is reached.  This in most cases is achieved via the Tacho signal, so alarm will be held off until a certain revs are reached, by which time oil pressure should be achieved.    This is the normal procedure for any basic comustion engine.  So it looks to me as though this is not functioning.   Providing the light is going off and the alarm stops when the engine starts, then the oil pressure is fine and not a concern .    I’ll have a look next time I'm at the boat and try to figure it out.   

tckearney

• Able Seaman
just a secon thought.  I have seen it were the oil pressure alarm is held off when engine is stopping via a timer relay.   Maybe worth scouting around for something that looks like a timer realy. 

Cnilejr

• Swab
Thank you.