Author Topic: D2-55 (F) service questions  (Read 3820 times)

Dustys Dad

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2013
D2-55 (F) service questions
« on: April 24 2019, 22:47 »
I have started to service the Volvo Penta D2-55 (F) in our new (to us) 2013 Vision 46.  I will be changing the oil and filter, changing the fuel filters and bleeding the system, changing the impeller, flushing and changing the coolant in the freshwater system, and flushing out the raw water system.

Several questions have arisen, which I hope people more knowledgeable than I am can help me with.  I have been trying to track down the fuel shutoff valve before changing the filters.  I expected to find a well-marked valve outside the engine room in the line from fuel tank to the primary fuel filter.  Instead, I found several items attached to the line, and what I assume to be a shutoff valve (with part of it broken off) in the engine room.  Did they actually put the shutoff valve in the engine room?  I have attached several pictures of what I found.  The first two are from the starboard cabin, and the last two are from the engine room.  I think the previous owner installed a fuel strainer in the line.  Any information about what some of the items on the fuel lines are and whether I should install a shutoff valve outside of the engine room would be most helpful.

When I last purchased coolant, all coolant was green.  Now there seems to be a rainbow of colors.  According to the Volvo manual, only the yellow VDS coolant should be used.  Can any OAT coolant be used, or should I stay with the VP coolant?

I was also thinking of putting in a three-way ball valve after the raw water strainer to facilitate fresh water flushing of the raw water system.  Is this a good idea, or will I be creating more problems that I will be solving?

Lastly, are there any sacrificial anodes in the heat exchanger?  The Volvo manual doesn’t refer to any, but I have read enough to want to make sure there aren’t any.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: D2-55 (F) service questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24 2019, 23:32 »
I have a Vision 46 2014 owned since new. Great boat so congrats on your purchase
The diesel shutoff valve is the one in the engine room in your photo. Not sure why there are parts missing so if I were you I would replace it. If you want a fuel shutoff outside the engine room then I suggest you fit one yourself but I don't have a problem with current set up.

Not sure about the coolant question but Volvo always try and up the price of their original stuff so frankly if the coolant you choose has the same spec then it should be OK
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: April 25 2019, 12:04 »
I have also had a Vision 46 since new (2016). 

I would not use "other" coolants besides the Volvo VCS.  I came across a safety data sheet which is attached. 

The only adodes I have are:  1) hull, 2) saildrive and 3) prop hub. 

Not sure about the fresh water flush idea.  Would this be when on the hard?  If so, why not just poor fresh water in the sea strainer for a minute or so when on the hard?

How do you like your vision; we love ours?  Where do you sail out of? 
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 25 2019, 13:41 »
Also, for the zincs, some source/pricing info if interested:
Description / PN / Source / Price
Anode, Engine, Tecnoseal Magnesium - 2-13/16" Diameter / R-2M (Tecnoseal R2MG  2-13/16") / Boatzincs.com / 14.19
Anode, Propeller, 3 Pc collar, Volvo folding prop 3-blade engine D2-55, Martyr Magnesium Anode, VP 3PC Kit / 3858399M / Boatzincs.com / 18.25
Anode, Saildrive, 358407M Volvo Penta 130/150 Saildrive Split Ring Magnesium Anode / 358407M (3888306, 3888305M) / Boatzincs.com / 59.51
Anode, Side-Power, Aluminum Anode (SM51180A) / SM71190A / Boatzincs.com / 10.85

These are Magnesium (Fresh Water), however but zincs are also available.
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: April 25 2019, 21:19 »
The first two photos are of solenoid fuel pumps for diesel heaters (the ones with the small diameter white/clear hose and brown/blue wires attached).

The shut-off valve seems to have had the handle snapped off.

Would advise using the genuine Volvo coolant due to the aluminium heat exchanger being susceptible to corrosion and astronomically expensive to replace. No such qualms about the oils or any of the filters though.

Three-way valve in the intake sounds like just another potential leak source, so would skip that. When winterizing/flushing, just pop the hose off the intake and drop it in a bucket.

I don't think there's an anode in the heat exchanger.

Do check the exhaust elbow injector for buildup too.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 26 2019, 18:00 »

Lastly, are there any sacrificial anodes in the heat exchanger?  The Volvo manual doesn’t refer to any, but I have read enough to want to make sure there aren’t any.

I've just been looking into this. Apparently, these days, there are no anodes within Volvo heat exchangers.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: April 28 2019, 10:59 »

I've just been looking into this. Apparently, these days, there are no anodes within Volvo heat exchangers.

A question that bothered me at one time. I was informed by the Volvo reps at a boat show in Southampton that the Volvo engines are single metal construction and do not need internal sacrificial anodes  ;)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 28 2019, 12:13 »
That is correct. The engines that need anodes either have HEs that have aluminium housings and copper tubes (such as Beta) or the engine is saltwater cooled and the anode is in the saltwater jacket (as in many older engines such as raw water cooled Yanmars).